Possibly Vista-related Windows/MinGW Compilation Issues

Hello, Jonathan

I thought I'd messed up something related to the linker,
but I couldn't explain why XP would work using the same steps.

The only thing comes to my mind seeing this: perl from msysDTK works
differently (somehow) on Vista, thus llvm-config is broken which leads
to missed libraries, broken dependencies, etc.

I'd suggest you to compare stuff on different systems.

Anton Korobeynikov wrote:

Hello, Jonathan

I thought I'd messed up something related to the linker,
but I couldn't explain why XP would work using the same steps.

The only thing comes to my mind seeing this: perl from msysDTK works
differently (somehow) on Vista, thus llvm-config is broken which leads
to missed libraries, broken dependencies, etc. \

I'm also on Vista (although with a different Perl). The error pattern looks half-familiar.

Does the attached patch (MingW32.Vista.patch) work for you, Jonathan?

[Note: I don't think this is clean enough to apply to trunk. I can write a revised one for trunk on request, although it'll probably come no earlier than June 1st.

llvm-config.in.in
* abspath is standard only with Perl 5.6 and higher. The mainline idiom also works with Perl 5.005. A proper patch for trunk would support both.
* I wasn't able to get the pwd autodetection working at all, so it is *cough* hard-coded *cough* for MingW32. That shouldn't be in a patch for trunk at all.

GenLibDeps.pl
* A patch for trunk would try the mainline implementation first, then failover to using Perl to emulate the non-working pipe series.]

Kenneth Boyd

MingW32.Vista.patch (3.15 KB)

I'm not sure exactly what I did differently this morning, but things seem to be working. In case anyone else has similar problems, here's what worked for me:

* Install mingw from exe (just the g++ compiler)
* Install msys from exe
* Install msysDTK from exe
* Copy the contents of the bison tarball to your c:\msys\1.0 (or wherever you installed it)
* Repeat the last step for the flex, regex, and bash tarballs (it may ask to copy over files, which I let it do)

I did at one point also installed strawberry perl after reading your hint about perl being involed, but then uninstalled it. Not sure if that had an effect.

Jonathan