Problems trying to build LLVM

Hi, I am brand new to LLVM, or more precisely, trying to be. I’m getting stuck on compiling LLVM.

• I tried installing on a Mint 18.1 VM with 6GB RAM, and the builds of some large executables were killed by the OOM killer. I finally realized that I needed to build using shared libraries, and succeeded. This was in November.

• I put aside my LLVM project, and just got back to it. I got stuck compiling the Kaleidoscope demo, encountering this error:

/tmp/kal-2072b8.o:(.data._ZN4llvm30VerifyDisableABIBreakingChecksE+0x0): undefined reference to `llvm::DisableABIBreakingChecks’

This discussion, from this mailing list, points out that I need to build LLVM with -DLLVM_DISABLE_ABI_BREAKING_CHECKS_ENFORCING=OFF.

• So now I am trying to rebuild LLVM, and ran into a few new problems. First, I discovered that I need the Z3 theorem prover. Unsure why this problem did not show up before. Second, I’m running into many errors like this:

CMake Error at cmake/modules/AddLLVM.cmake:570 (target_link_libraries):
Attempt to add link library “clangAST” to target “clangApplyReplacements”
which is not built in this directory.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
tools/clang/cmake/modules/AddClang.cmake:86 (llvm_add_library)
tools/extra/clang-apply-replacements/CMakeLists.txt:5 (add_clang_library)

Getting LLVM installed is proving much more problematic than I was expecting, based on experience with many other open source projects. Can someone give me a push in the right direction? I started with this document: http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html, but found no guidance about the problems with huge executables, advice about shared libraries, etc.

Thanks.

Jack Orenstein

Hi, I am brand new to LLVM, or more precisely, trying to be. I'm getting stuck on compiling LLVM.

- I tried installing on a Mint 18.1 VM with 6GB RAM, and the builds of some large executables were killed by the OOM killer. I finally realized that I needed to build using shared libraries, and succeeded. This was in November.

- I put aside my LLVM project, and just got back to it. I got stuck compiling the Kaleidoscope demo, encountering this error:

/tmp/kal-2072b8.o:(.data._ZN4llvm30VerifyDisableABIBreakingChecksE+0x0): undefined reference to `llvm::DisableABIBreakingChecks'

This discussion, from this mailing list, points out that I need to build LLVM with -DLLVM_DISABLE_ABI_BREAKING_CHECKS_ENFORCING=OFF.

- So now I am trying to rebuild LLVM, and ran into a few new problems. First, I discovered that I need the Z3 theorem prover. Unsure why this problem did not show up before. Second, I'm running into many errors like this:

CMake Error at cmake/modules/AddLLVM.cmake:570 (target_link_libraries):
      Attempt to add link library "clangAST" to target "clangApplyReplacements"
      which is not built in this directory.
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      tools/clang/cmake/modules/AddClang.cmake:86 (llvm_add_library)
      tools/extra/clang-apply-replacements/CMakeLists.txt:5 (add_clang_library)

Getting LLVM installed is proving much more problematic than I was expecting, based on experience with many other open source projects. Can someone give me a push in the right direction? I started with this document: http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html, but found no guidance about the problems with huge executables, advice about shared libraries, etc.

Hi,

I would recommend doing a clean build (i.e. delete your current build directory
or use a new one) of llvm and then post the cmake options you used if you
still have issues even with a clean build.

-Tom

Hi Jack,
I’m sure few weeks ago I had the same problem with DisableABI and if I remember properly it was because I used different version of llvm-config and clang or because I used the -I with a wrong path. Can you send us the source code you are trying to compile and the command you use for compiling it?

Thanks

Hi Jack,

None of the options you have mentioned are necessary, and neither is Z3.
As Tom said, try doing a clean build (IMO it’s easier with a monorepo) and post exact commands you have used if it fails.

Thank you for all the responses. I am going to start from scratch, trying a release build and no other options, and work my way to trying the Kaleidoscope demo again. I will post problems encountered, if any.

Jack

After much googling, I was finally able to make the DisableABI warning go away by building the kaleidoscope tutorial’s lexer and parser as follows:

clang++ -g -O3 -c kal.cpp llvm-config --cxxflags -o kal.o
clang++ kal.o llvm-config --ldflags --libs -lpthread -ltinfo -o kal

This is pure recitation of an incantation I don’t understand. The connection between the original warning, lpthread and ltinfo is unclear. In any case, I can now continue with the Kaleidoscope tutorial.

Jack