Question about modeling of a processor

Hi

I am working on modeling a processor with resource descriptors, to be used by Machine Scheduler.

IIUC, Currently we can model the following aspects of a processor

1- If we have a # of processors resources of the same kind, we can say that an insn will use one of the units of that resource kind.
2- We can say that an insn will use multiple units of resources of the same or different kinds in parallel or sequentially.

What I need though is to say that an insn can use one unit of two resources of different kinds (but not both). Is there any way to express this? I thought ProcResGroup is introduced for this purpose, but looking at how it is used, and also looking at the output of tablegen -gen-subtarget I am not able to use it to achieve this goal.

Thanks
Ehsan

I have not been able to figure out what exactly ProcResGroup (which is defined in include/llvm/Target/TargetSchedule.td) does. Let me explain with an example. I appreciate any help.

I have the following in the .td file (among other things):

def ALU : ProcResource<4>;
def DP : ProcResource<4>;

def TestGroup : ProcResGroup<[ALU, DP]>;

def P9_Test_76C : SchedWriteRes<[TestGroup]> {
let Latency = 76;
let ResourceCycles = [62];
}

def : ItinRW<[P9_Test_76C, IP_EXEC_1C, DISP_1C, DISP_1C], [IIC_IntSimple,
IIC_IntGeneral]>;

Then when I look at the output of llvm-tblgen -gen-subtarget

I see the following:

// {Name, NumUnits, SuperIdx, IsBuffered}
static const llvm::MCProcResourceDesc P9ModelProcResources[] = {

{DBGFIELD(“TestGroup”) 8, 0, -1} // #16
};

I believe we have 8 units of TestGroup because using TestGroup means using ALU or DP and we have four of each.

I also see

// {Name, NumMicroOps, BeginGroup, EndGroup, WriteProcResIdx,#, WriteLatencyIdx,#, ReadAdvanceIdx,#}
static const llvm::MCSchedClassDesc P9ModelSchedClasses[] = {

{DBGFIELD(“IIC_IntSimple”) 1, false, false, 1, 3, 1, 4, 0, 0}, // #1
};

and

// {ProcResourceIdx, Cycles}
extern const llvm::MCWriteProcResEntry PPCWriteProcResTable[] = {

{16, 62}, // #3

}

All of this makes sense, except that I do not see anything in the output of tablegen that creates a relationship between TestGroup, ALU and DP. Even if there is such a mapping somewhere else that I have missed, I cannot see how it is exploited in MachineScheduler.cpp. Because what we do there, is the following:

– for a scheduled insn loop over all its WriteProcRes (highlighted in blue). Then from that extract ProcResourceIdx (highlighted in red). From there we update the usage of this ProcResource. I expected to see some connection to ALU and DP when we update resource usage.

I have looked at the commits that added this construct as well, but couldn’t figure out the answer to my question.

Thanks

Ehsan