Removal of GVStub methods from MachineCodeEmitter, ELFWriter, and MachOWriter

I have done a possible cleanup patch for the MachineCodeEmitter, ELFWriter, and MachOWriter classes. It removes the two startGVStub(), and finishGVStub() JIT specific methods.

You may remember the following comments :-

/// JIT SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS - DO NOT IMPLEMENT THESE HERE!

To get rid of these easily turned out to be a semicomplex modification because of the JITInfo classes dependance on MachineCodeEmitter and the GVStub methods. Also the fact that JITEmitter is hidden and quite a large class in a .cpp file.

At first I did this by introducing a JITCodeEmitter class between MachineCodeEmitter and the (un)hidden JITEmitter. But this lead to more dependancies and they lead on to more.

I have now made class header for JITEmitter putting it in the llvm namespace. There were several other header dependancies as a result and lib/ExecutionEngine/JIT/JIT.h and lib/ExecutionEngine/JIT/JITDwarfEmitter.h required moving to the include/llvm/ExecutionEngine/JIT directory as a result to make them visible to JIT.h and dependants.

• create JITEmitter.h and made class JITEmitter visible in llvm namespace

• moved lib/ExecutionEngine/JIT/JIT.h to include/llvm/ExecutionEngine/JIT

• moved lib/ExecutionEngine/JIT/JITDwarfEmitter.h to include/llvm/ExecutionEngine/JIT

• removed JIT specific startGVStub()'s functions and finishGVStub() from MachineCodeEmitter, ELFWriter, and MachOWriter classes.

• modified include/llvm/Target/TargetJITInfo.h to use JITEmitter rather than MachineCodeEmitter.

• modified :-

• lib/Target/PowerPC/PPCJITInfo.h
  • lib/Target/PowerPC/PPCJITInfo.cpp
  • lib/Target/ARM/ARMJITInfo.cpp
  • lib/Target/ARM/ARMJITInfo.h
  • lib/Target/Alpha/AlphaJITInfo.cpp
  • lib/Target/Alpha/AlphaJITInfo.h
  • lib/Target/X86/X86JITInfo.h
  • lib/Target/X86/X86JITInfo.cpp
    to use JITEmitter rather than MachineCodeEmitter.
  • renamed multiple MCE’s to JE’s

• removed unneed getCodeEmitter()'s in JITEmitter.cpp class JIT.

• modified lib/ExecutionEngine/JIT/TargetSelect.cpp to use include/llvm/ExecutionEngine/JIT/JIT.h include file

• modified lib/ExecutionEngine/JIT/Intercept.cpp to use include/llvm/ExecutionEngine/JIT/JIT.h include file

I was wondering whether it would be better to call the JITEmitter class JITCodeEmitter and have JCE’s instead of JE’s.

I dont think there are any other issues I missed or need tidying up either. I removed some getCodeEmitter and accompanying redundant assertions from JITEmitter.cpp JIT class methods, AFAICT this is only cruft.

Anyway here’s the patch :-

http://www.aarongray.org/LLVM/patches/llvm-JITEmitter.patch

There was another way I considered that was having a second MCE for writting global data and stubs to. I believe this would not require making JITEmitter and friend visible, but may introduce more runtime overhead.

If you could have a look at this patch and see what you think.

If things go well I will be working on patches for the ELFWriter and an accompanying COFFWriter. I know I promised this before but unfortunate circumstances stopped me working on it back then.

Hopefully I can do some ground work and incremental patches to get some code generated then look at the ABI issues on Windows.

Cheers,

Aaron

I’ll look at these. First scan looks good. Are you able to run some tests?

Evan

Hi Evan,

Providing Nick’s Cygwin patch works then I am upto doing Cygwin testing.

I ran the GVStub removal patch on Linux X86 and it passes ‘make check’ fine.

The only thing I was not sure of was JITEmitter.h’s #includes, they may need some attention.

Also the other thing was should this all be done by using a second MachineCodeEmitter in class JIT to provide the GV functionality. If you think that would be a better method I could provide a patch to do that.

Anyway see what you think.

Cheers,

Aaron