Renaming

Hi all,

As recently threatened, I am going to rename things and shuffle a few things around in the source tree this evening. These are the changes I plan to make:

1. Rename the clang compiler executable (currently ‘clang’) to ‘clang-cc’; rewrite all the test cases to call clang-cc instead of clang.

2. Move clang/Driver to clang/tools/clang-cc (to match the name, and llvm, and not be confusingly named Driver).

3. Change clang-driver to be called ‘clang’. I plan to leave it in tools/driver because clang is pretty ambiguous, but I will move it to tools/clang if someone argues for it being inconsistent.

4. Change clang-cc to be installed in ‘libexec/clang/’, and update the driver to look for it there.

5. Do nothing with ccc. There are still a few details to iron out and testing to be done on the new driver; I expect to keep ccc around for another week or so.

OK?

• Daniel

Sounds reasonable to me.

Hi all,

As recently threatened, I am going to rename things and shuffle a few things around in the source tree this evening. These are the changes I plan to make:

1. Rename the clang compiler executable (currently 'clang') to 'clang-cc';

Yay!

rewrite all the test cases to call clang-cc instead of clang.

This is a good temporary measure, so that the name change doesn't affect our testing. Longer term, I hope we move our testing over to use the driver, so that our testing mimics the interface that our users see.

2. Move clang/Driver to clang/tools/clang-cc (to match the name, and llvm, and not be confusingly named Driver).

3. Change clang-driver to be called 'clang'. I plan to leave it in tools/driver because clang is pretty ambiguous, but I will move it to tools/clang if someone argues for it being inconsistent.

4. Change clang-cc to be installed in 'libexec/clang/', and update the driver to look for it there.

5. Do nothing with ccc. There are still a few details to iron out and testing to be done on the new driver; I expect to keep ccc around for another week or so.

OK?

Sounds good.

- Doug

sounds great to me!

Ok, renaming should be finished. Please email or file a bug if anything seems off.

If all is well, after rebuilding (and checking test suite!) you can verify that things are swapped by looking for output like this: