[RFC][clang-tidy] indentation readability check

Hello!

To my mind this functionality belongs in clang-format rather than clang-tidy.

Yes I should have clarified this.

This check will not complement / undo clang-format. Imho you can use both clang-format and this check, this check will be just redundant then.

It's easy to think that everybody uses a formatter, for instance clang-format, because it's so much better than formatting the code manually.

I work as a contractor and have been to a few companies. I have not seen a company yet that uses a formatting tool, they rather update formatting manually. I have tried to suggest using clang-format or some other such tool.. but there is hard resistance against it.

Best regards,
Daniel Marjamäki
..................................................................................................................
Daniel Marjamäki Senior Engineer
Evidente ES East AB Warfvinges väg 34 SE-112 51 Stockholm Sweden

Mobile: +46 (0)709 12 42 62
E-mail: Daniel.Marjamaki@evidente.se

www.evidente.se

I would rather see clang- format modified to become acceptable (have it make very few changes given the right options).

I think that people are beginning to make more use of formatters. Having been the one who introduces them to teams, my experience is broadly consistent with yours.

Jon

I would rather see clang- format modified to become acceptable (have it make very few changes given the right options).

I was told that clang-format is not meant to be a general purpose formatter.

And a quick search on the web showed this discussion:

http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2014-September/039097.html

would it be acceptable to add an option for each clang-format refactoring so it can be disabled?

..................................................................................................................
Daniel Marjamäki Senior Engineer
Evidente ES East AB Warfvinges väg 34 SE-112 51 Stockholm Sweden

Mobile: +46 (0)709 12 42 62
E-mail: Daniel.Marjamaki@evidente.se

www.evidente.se

If options could be individually disabled in clang-format I can see it being more readily adopted. I'm not a clang-format developer though and they may feel differently.