RFC - LLVM JIT Office Hours / Updates

Hi All,

My semi-regular LLVM JIT updates got derailed last year, but I’m looking to start them up again.

This time, rather than a “weekly” mailer, I think a better format may be monthly office hours and a corresponding monthly update post. I’m basing this on impressions that I formed while writing the weekly mails:

• The weekly mailers often did not generate much feedback / interaction. A live discussion may be better for that (and office hours have been requested by a couple of people on the #jit discord already).

• Progress on the JIT tends to be bursty – some weeks nothing happens, other weeks there are significant changes. A monthly update is more likely to provide interesting news in each post.

If you are interested in receiving LLVM JIT updates I would be interested to get your opinion on the schedule (weekly vs monthly), and whether you would be interested in attending monthly office hours.

5 Likes

maybe just more sporadic updates when there’s interesting things happening, with a month between updates being sort of a backstop in case it’s a bit quiet? In terms of fostering engagement, having an update closer to when things are happening, so they can get involved may be helpful.

Hi Lang,

I am always interested in receiving updates, whatever the frequency or regularity. A lot of the more recent changes to JIT are not directly relevant to what we do with it, so I may well not reply, but I am still interested, and on the lookout for changes that are relevant.

I think monthly update + office hour would be perfect.

Thanks for doing this Lang! I think monthly would work well for me.

Hi Lang, I think the semi-regular updates were great. Monthly posts sound like a nice successor. I don’t think higher frequency is worth the effort.

I agree that the weekly mailers didn’t trigger a lot of feedback or interaction, but that might be just natural. Right now, I am not working on mainline and so I’d take notice of all the news, but I won’t have a direct use-case that’d allow me to give feedback. Other people may be in similar situations. However, these posts can still be very useful. I remember looking up this one a lot of times, because it did document the out-of-process parameters of the llvm-jitlink tool at a time when the only other reference was the implementation:

If monthly update posts establish some kind of “continuous documentation”, that would be a big win for everyone. Plus: If updates are small and focused, they might make a good resource to link when answering questions on #jit discord.

Office hours might be a good addition and worth trying if you can juggle the timezones. If they happen monthly and overlap with CET, I could offer to help running them occasionally. (Though I can probably only answer a fraction of questions.)

I assume it would be like a virtual version of a dev meeting round table? In my experience our round tables tend to converge into 1-on-1 conversations. JIT use-cases are diverse and so are the issues of people who build them. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but maybe something to be aware of.

Thanks everyone!

It sounds like the regular updates were providing value – I’ll plan to start again with the first monthly update post next week.

Office hours might be a good addition and worth trying if you can juggle the timezones…

Ok – let’s trial office hours in September. We can use next week’s update post to discuss the date/time. I think we can come up with something that will work for CET (perhaps inspired by the schedule for @vvassilev’s CaaS monthly meetings).

I assume it would be like a virtual version of a dev meeting round table? In my experience our round tables tend to converge into 1-on-1 conversations. JIT use-cases are diverse and so are the issues of people who build them. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but maybe something to be aware of.

I think you’re right. The standard office hours format is Q&A with the code owner. I’ll also encourage people to flag areas that they’re interested in ahead of the meeting so that I can prepare a little, and if it looks like we’ll have extra time I’ll invite people to give short talks / demos. I want to encourage more cross-talk between JIT users – as JIT API adoption grows we’ll need more people actively involved in JIT discussions / development, and this seems like a good forum to try to encourage that.

2 Likes

The office hours announcement / JIT update post is up: ORC JIT Update / Office Hours -- September 2022.

1 Like