RFC: missing libclang query functions / features

Here is a list of queries I'd like to express via libclang, but presumably can't.

Could you please confirm that these aren't yet implemented ? (I may start working on patches in that case.)

* clang_CXXMethod_isStatic() queries whether a member function is static. There appears to be no such thing for 'virtual' and 'const'. Also, a similar query (for static) would be useful for non-function members ("fields").

* clang_getCXXAccessSpecifiers() is documented to report the access control for a base class (which the cursor argument is referring to). May this function be extended to also report access level for members.

* There doesn't appear to be any function to query a function's exception specifier.

* Would it be possible to report dependent types / expressions with a new cursor type, instead of the common "UnexposedExpr" ?

Thanks,
         Stefan

Here is a list of queries I'd like to express via libclang, but
presumably can't.

Could you please confirm that these aren't yet implemented ? (I may
start working on patches in that case.)

* clang_CXXMethod_isStatic() queries whether a member function is
static. There appears to be no such thing for 'virtual' and 'const'.

Correct. The API should expose information about 'virtual', cv-qualifiers, and ref-qualifiers on C++ member functions.

Also, a similar query (for static) would be useful for non-function
members ("fields").

It's actually not needed. Non-static data members are fields; static data members are described as variables.

* clang_getCXXAccessSpecifiers() is documented to report the access
control for a base class (which the cursor argument is referring to).
May this function be extended to also report access level for members.

I think that's a great idea.

* There doesn't appear to be any function to query a function's
exception specifier.

Correct; we don't expose that information.

* Would it be possible to report dependent types / expressions with a
new cursor type, instead of the common "UnexposedExpr" ?

Dependent types and expressions can take many forms, including forms that already have "exposed" cursor kinds (e.g., a declaration reference expression can be type-dependent). If you need type- and value-dependence information, I suggest adding clang_isTypeDependent()/clang_isValueDependent() that operates on expression cursors.

- Doug

* There doesn't appear to be any function to query a function's
exception specifier.

Correct; we don't expose that information.

What would be the best way to add support for that ? Adding a new CXCursor_ExceptionSpec cursor, which has child cursors of of some appropriate reference kind ? Or a query function that gives the equivalent information explicitly ?

* Would it be possible to report dependent types / expressions with a
new cursor type, instead of the common "UnexposedExpr" ?

Dependent types and expressions can take many forms, including forms that already have "exposed" cursor kinds (e.g., a declaration reference expression can be type-dependent). If you need type- and value-dependence information, I suggest adding clang_isTypeDependent()/clang_isValueDependent() that operates on expression cursors.

OK, understood. I think what I was trying to ask is for CXType_Unexposed, not CXCursor_UnexposedDecl.
That is:

template <typename T>
struct foo
{
     T member;
};

would report a FieldDecl cursor for 'member'. When calling clang_getCursorType() on that, I obtain a CXType_Unexposed, while I think something more indicative of this being a dependent type would be more useful. (If that is not possible, a new clang_isTypeDependent() function would certainly be helpful.)

Thanks,
         Stefan

Well, if you had a member such as

T *member_ptr;

then that would represented as a pointer type that is also a dependent type. Probably what you want for this is clang_isDependentType(CXType); that essentially maps down to Type::isDependentType().

- Doug

Like this ?

Thanks,
         Stefan

patch (1.82 KB)