Running Test Cases

I feel like a complete idiot. I can't figure out how to run the test cases for clang.

In the test subdirectory I have run make all. That shows a pretty progress bar, but as far as I can tell nothing is actually output.

I can't figure out what to do with TestRunner.sh.

I can see that in the test/CXX directory there are numerous subdirectories that appear to have test cases (.cpp) and scripts (.script). The content of the .script files looks to be a simple command line, but I can't figure out how to run them in mass and/or get output for what passes/fails.

Can anybody point me to information on what I'm missing?

I feel like a complete idiot. I can't figure out how to run the test
cases for clang.

In the test subdirectory I have run make all.

I assume you mean tools/clang/test

That shows a pretty
progress bar, but as far as I can tell nothing is actually output.

You'll typically get something like this:

Making Clang 'lit.site.cfg' file...
--- Running clang tests for x86_64-apple-darwin10.0.0 ---
lit.py: lit.cfg:146: note: using clang: '/Users/dgregor/Projects/llvm-autotools-make/Release-Asserts/bin/clang'
lit.py: lit.cfg:151: note: using clang-cc: '/Users/dgregor/Projects/llvm-autotools-make/Release-Asserts/bin/clang-cc'
                       -- Testing: 1625 tests, 2 threads --
  82% [================================================-----------] ETA: 00:00:10
Clang::SemaObjC/check-dup-objc-decls-1.m

once the tests finish, the progress bar will go away and you'll get a summary:

Testing Time: 58.61s
   Expected Passes : 1610
   Expected Failures : 15

there's no other output unless there is a failure, which shouldn't happen. If you really want to see every test go by, pass the make argument VERBOSE=1

I can't figure out what to do with TestRunner.sh.

Ignore it. At some point, it will disappear. llvm/utils/lit/lit.py is what drives Clang testing now ("make all" in tools/clang/test just runs lit.py).

I can see that in the test/CXX directory there are numerous
subdirectories that appear to have test cases (.cpp) and scripts
(.script). The content of the .script files looks to be a simple
command line, but I can't figure out how to run them in mass and/or
get output for what passes/fails.

The verbose output shows all passes/fails. Generally, it's only the fails that matter, and there should never be any not marked XFAIL.

- Doug

Try:

make VERBOSE=1 test

it will give you lots of warm fuzzies. After you're warm, you can drop the VERBOSE=1 part... :slight_smile: