Runtime-configurable LLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_TRIPLE by env var

I have been working for extending test coverage for years.
Nowadays, I have several cross-testing (target != host). See http://bb.pgr.jp/console
Each of them (test-*-linux) is doing;

• Assume a preceding builder passes with warming ccache.
  • All compilation units will hit ccache whenever the tree is built before lit.
  • Almost all compilation units will hit ccache except for Host.cpp when the tree is built with different LLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_TRIPLE.

FYI, I am doing a trick to let ccache recognize compilation units identical for build.ninja;

$ sed -i -r ‘s=(-I|_COMPILER\S* )/home/bb/\w[^/]*/llvm-project=\1…/llvm-project=g’ build.ninja

In other words, testing builders have almost same build except for Host.cpp.
I have to build the tree for each testing target.

I propose an option to override LLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_TRIPLE in run-time.

The change will be small but I wonder which option I could take.
Please let me know your suggestions.

• Should it be configurable option?

I think it shouldn’t be required for release binaries, and it wouldn’t be required for most developers.
I think it may be off by default.

• What is the name of environment variable?

I suggest the name itself could be configurable.
If I would introduce the envvar name as “LLVM_TARGET”, clang users would complain why clang didn’t have like “CLANG_TARGET”.

$ cmake -DLLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_ENVVAR_NAME=LLVM_TARGET
$ LLVM_TARGET=i686-win32 bin/llvm-lit path/to/tests

This feature may be disabled if LLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_ENVVAR_NAME is blank.
I wonder the name LLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_ENVVAR_NAME might be weird.
Better suggestions are welcome.

As a future plan, I will implement, in Lit, run tests with the matrix of triples,
like {arm|mips|i686|x86_64}-{darwin|linux|win32}.
Some of tests should be skipped if it isn’t affected to default target triple.
For example, FileCheck

Regards, Takumi

Hypothetically you could hack this in with our existing environment override option, CCC_OVERRIDE_OPTIONS, like so:
ninja all
export CCC_OVERRIDE_OPTIONS=#^–target=$triple

run lit tests

I’d rather not make a new, easier to use environment variable because it will encourage people to use it for production cross-compilation. The existing mechanism is probably good enough for testing purposes.

Hypothetically you could hack this in with our existing environment override option, CCC_OVERRIDE_OPTIONS, like so:
ninja all
export CCC_OVERRIDE_OPTIONS=#^–target=$triple

run lit tests

It’s an option just in clang driver. It doesn’t affect to other clang tools (including libclang), and LLVM.

I’d rather not make a new, easier to use environment variable because it will encourage people to use it for production cross-compilation. The existing mechanism is probably good enough for testing purposes.

Agreed partially. I won’t introduce such an option in release binaries.

I have proposed a patch, thank you.

[CMake] Introduce LLVM_TARGET_TRIPLE_ENV as an option to override LLVM_DEFAULT_TARGET_TRIPLE at runtime.
https://reviews.llvm.org/D33662