int *p = a; // alias
	int b, c;

a[0] = 1337;
	a[1] = 777;
	b = p[0];
	c = p[1];

return 0;
}

I convert this program to LLVM IR with clang -S -emit-llvm ./test.c and print the memory dependencies with: opt -print-memdeps -analyze ./test.ll.
This yields the following output:

Printing analysis 'Print MemDeps of function' for function 'main':
--- 8< ---
    Def from:   store i32* %6, i32** %3, align 8
  %9 = load i32*, i32** %3, align 8

Clobber from:   store i32 777, i32* %8, align 4
  %11 = load i32, i32* %10, align 4

Def from:   %4 = alloca i32, align 4
  store i32 %11, i32* %4, align 4

Def from:   %9 = load i32*, i32** %3, align 8
  %12 = load i32*, i32** %3, align 8

Clobber from:   store i32 777, i32* %8, align 4
  %14 = load i32, i32* %13, align 4

Def from:   %5 = alloca i32, align 4
  store i32 %14, i32* %5, align 4

This would seem to indicate that both the C instructions b = p[0]; and c = p[1]; are dependent on the instruction a[1] = 777;.
However, I would imaging the instruction b = p[0]; should be dependent only on a[0] = 1337; instead.

Could someone help me understand what’s going wrong here?
Is there a better way to extract dependencies from a program?

Here follow the versions of clang and opt that I use:

$ clang --version
clang version 10.0.0-4ubuntu1 
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin
$ opt --version
LLVM (http://llvm.org/):
  LLVM version 10.0.0

Optimized build.
  Default target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  Host CPU: tigerlake

Run -sroa first before -print-memdeps. Clang without -O{1,2,3} will default to -O0 and the LLVM-IR you get will use stack memory rather than (virtual) registers. Most passes expect -sroa (or mem2reg) to be run first in order for them to work properly.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Do I run it as opt -sroa -print-memdeps -analyze ./test.ll?
This does not appear to have an effect on the output.

You need to add -Xclang -disable-O0-optnone to the clang invocation or optnone will be in the IR and disable all optimizations/transformations. You can manually remove optnone from the IR as well. If you run sroa then you’ll see the entire code is removed as it is all unnecessary: Compiler Explorer

Ah, I see!
Is there a way to perform memory dependence analysis on non-optimized code?
My goal is to use LLVM on a minimal program, implementing a specific data-flow scenario.
This is the idea behind my example program above and why it only contains unnecessary code.

You did in the beginning. That said, there is little point in using things different to their intended behavior as the result is probably not useful for comparisons anyway.
I mean, if A requires B to work and I only run A, is it really a flaw of A if nothing happens?

Instead, use things as intended but make your example actually meaningful: Compiler Explorer
Note that SROA will still fold away most of the code even if you return/use b and c.
Thus, your “alias” is not really a problem because in SSA form the assignment simply folds away anyway.
Most non-trivial examples require input: Compiler Explorer