VAL1,
  VAL2
};

int main (int argc, const char * argv) {
    // insert code here...
    printf("Hello, World! %d\n", argc == 42 ? VAL1 : VAL1);
    return 0;
}

When I run the static analyzer on it, it doesn't warn. But the coder might not have meant for both values of the ?: operator to be the same. Do you think it's worth a static analyzer warning?

-bw

If a human wrote that it would probably be an error, although this does occur in test suites (all compilers here do the optimization). The question is whether things like that would arise in machine-generated code or after macro expansion often enough for false positives to be annoying. I would guess no, and vote for the warning.

Consider:

#define FLOOR 1
#define CEILING 1

int main (int argc, const char * argc)
{
     printf("Hello, World! %d\n", useFloor() ? FLOOR : CEILING);

return 0;
}

where useFloor() returns a bool.

I would NOT want that flagged with a warning.

Good point, Michael. I think this would be more useful as a Sema warning
about identical expressions for both results of a ?:, not a value-sensitive
analyzer report. (Taking macros into account, of course; only warn if
neither expression involves a macro or both use identical macros.)

I agree that it's a good point. I don't thinks that this would make a good compiler warning, but would be limited to the static analyzer. The analyzer has information about whether something comes from a macro, enum, inlined function, etc. I would vote for it emitting a warning for the same enums coming from the same enum type.

-bw

This probably wouldn't be too hard to do in the IdempotentOperationChecker. At the moment we only look at BinaryOperators and don't handle ternary statements explicitly. I think this falls under the 'pointless operation' category.

Tom