Static variable symbol not found error

Hello,

Here is the error:

Error opening ‘…/lib/LLVMENTRA.dylib’: dlopen(…/lib/LLVMENTRA.dylib, 9): Symbol not found: __ZN8CiaoType14typeInstances1E

typeInstances1 is a static variable defined in a class, whenever it is used during a function pass I get this error see below a minimal class definition.

class A{
static MapVector<Type*, A > typeInstances1;
public:
static CiaoType * create(Type
T)
{
if(CiaoType * CT= typeInstances1.lookup(T))
return CT;
else
//create new instance and return
}
};

As long as I don’t call the create method, everything works fine. Any idea why the static variable symbol is not found in the dynamic library?

PS:
here is how I load and run my pass using opt

./opt -analyze -load …/lib/LLVMENTRA.dylib -instnamer -mypass foo.ll

Regards
Umer

I believe the problem is caused by the fact that a static class member variable has to be declared in a .cpp file somewhere. I think the static variable in the class definition above is just a declaration (it’s kind of like the difference between a function prototype and function declaration in C). That said, I think you’re better off not declaring typeInstances1 as static. I think multiple instances of an LLVM pass are supposed to be able to run concurrently (e.g., two modules being analyzed by two threads of the same process), and so a FunctionPass and ModulePass instantiations should not share information with each other. Regards, John Criswell