%1 = getelementptr inbounds %struct._X, %struct._X* %0, i64 0, i32 3
%2 = load %struct._X*, %struct._X** %1, align 8, !tbaa !10

%3 = bitcast %struct._Y** %1 to i8**
store i8* null, i8** %3, align 8, !tbaa !9

!9 = !{!7, !7, i64 0}
!7 = !{!“omnipotent char”, !8, i64 0}
!8 = !{!“Simple C/C++ TBAA”}

----Snip----

Load inst above is trying to access a field of _X which is a self recursive pointer to same struct _X.
Store puts a null value for a pointer to struct _Y. It has been bitcasted to i8** and store happens via char pointer.

When I query alias analysis although loads and stores are pointers to different struct types. TBAA says may alias.
is it safe to assume the loaded pointer to struct _X do not alias with the store , if we look further at bitcast and see the pointer to different struct?

is my understanding wrong here?

regards,
Venkat,

Can someone please clarify me on this?

What are you querying the alias analysis on in the above example - between the load and store?

How are you creating your MemoryLocation for those too?

Hi Neil

What are you querying the alias analysis on in the above example - between the load and store?

I am interested to check if the load “%2” is not changed inside the function (assuming there are no function calls). I am checking to see if there are any store instructions in that function that could aliases and
modify the load.

How are you creating your MemoryLocation for those too?

I query using alias method as shown below.

MemoryLocation Locld = MemoryLocation::get(Loadinst);
MemoryLocation Locst = MemoryLocation::get(Storeinst);

if (AA->alias(Loc,Locst) != llvm::NoAlias ) {
==> it reaches here
}

Also checked modref info.
if(isModSet(AA->getModRefInfo(Storeinst, Loc))
{
==> it reaches here

}

regards,
Venkat,

I’d need to see more of the IR if you could provide it to give a guess at the problem!

Hi Neil,

The Original IR is obtained from spec2017 benchmark. I will try to reduce it to a test case and send.
The “null” value is stored to a pointer variable after calling “free” for the allocated memory. The type of the pointer is bitcasted to i8** before storing “null”.

TBAA seem to represent pointer field “next” as “any pointer” in the below example.

—Snip–
struct st {
int a;
struct st * next;
};

struct st *ptr;
ptr->next = null

%next = getelementptr inbounds %struct.st, %struct.st* %ptr, i64 0, i32 1
store %struct.st* null, %struct.st** %next, align 8, !tbaa !2

!2 = !{!3, !7, i64 8}

!3 = !{!“st”, !4, i64 0, !7, i64 8}
!4 = !{!“int”, !5, i64 0}
!5 = !{!“omnipotent char”, !6, i64 0}
!6 = !{!“Simple C/C++ TBAA”}
!7 = !{!“any pointer”, !5, i64 0}

–Snip–

TBAA will say “may alias” if it finds second store which has !7 attached , i.e any general pointer store ?
It will not consider the context from where the second store is coming ( it may be bitcasted from a different struct * to i8**).

regards,
Venkat.