The ModuleOp is empty after applyPatternsAndFoldGreedily is called

I want to use the applyPatternsAndFoldGreedily function to change the Op in ModuleOp. but the ModuleOp is empty after applyPatternsAndFoldGreedily is called.

The code is like following

struct TestLowing: public mlir::OpRewritePattern<RingBufferOp>{
    TestLowing(mlir::MLIRContext *context)
      : OpRewritePattern<RingBufferOp>(context, /*benefit=*/1) {}

mlir::LogicalResult matchAndRewrite(RingBufferOp op,
                mlir::PatternRewriter &rewriter) const override {
        return success();
    }
};

struct PostOperationPass:
    public PassWrapper<SliceModePostOperationPass, OperationPass<ModuleOp>>{
        MLIR_DEFINE_EXPLICIT_INTERNAL_INLINE_TYPE_ID(PostOperationPass)

void getDependentDialects(DialectRegistry &registry) const override {
        registry.insert<MyDialect>();
    }
    void runOnOperation() final;
};

void PostOperationPass::runOnOperation(){
    RewritePatternSet pattern_set(&getContext());
    pattern_set.add<TestLowing>(&getContext());

auto patterns = FrozenRewritePatternSet(std::move(pattern_set));
    GreedyRewriteConfig config;
    config.useTopDownTraversal = true;
    config.enableRegionSimplification = false;
    config.maxIterations = 10;
    auto operation = getOperation();
    operation.dump(); // the ModuleOp has content.
    auto result = applyPatternsAndFoldGreedily(operation, patterns, config);
    if(failed(result)){
        signalPassFailure();
    }
    operation.dump(); // the ModuleOp is empty.
}

is there something wrong when I use the applyPatternsAndFoldGreedily function?

What does the content of the module look like? Do you have only side-effect-free operations that can all be folded away?
If you remove your pattern from the set what happens?

In general running with -debug should show you step by step what happens.

Thank you for you reply.
The module is like following

module {
  %0 = "pulsar.param"() {params = dense<0> : tensor<16x32x3x3xi8>} : () -> tensor<16x32x3x3xi8>
  %1 = "pulsar.ringbuffer"() {buffer_size = 64 : i32, delay = 0 : i32} : () -> tensor<16x64x64xi8>
  %2 = "pulsar.data"() {shape = dense<[16, 64, 64]> : tensor<3xi64>} : () -> tensor<16x64x64xi8>
  "pulsar.set"(%2, %1) {begin = 0 : i32, end = 64 : i32} : (tensor<16x64x64xi8>, tensor<16x64x64xi8>) -> ()
  %3 = "pulsar.view"(%1) {begin = 0 : i32, end = 64 : i32} : (tensor<16x64x64xi8>) -> tensor<16x64x64xi8>
  %4 = "pulsar.conv"(%3, %0) {mode = 0 : i32, padding_left = true, padding_right = true} : (tensor<16x64x64xi8>, tensor<16x32x3x3xi8>) -> tensor<32x64x64xi8>
}

after pattern match and rewrite, it will be

module {
  %0 = "pulsar.param"() {params = dense<0> : tensor<16x32x3x3xi8>} : () -> tensor<16x32x3x3xi8>
  %1 = "pulsar.data"() {shape = dense<[16, 64, 64]> : tensor<3xi64>} : () -> tensor<16x64x64xi8>
  %2 = "pulsar.conv"(%1, %0) {mode = 0 : i32, padding_left = true, padding_right = true} : (tensor<16x64x64xi8>, tensor<16x32x3x3xi8>) -> tensor<32x64x64xi8>
}

but the module is empty after applyPatternsAndFoldGreedily is called, even I do nothing in matchAndRewrite or just remove the pattern.

applyPatternsAndFoldGreedily also performs DCE, so if your ops are considered side effect free and aren’t returning anywhere, they are probably being DCE’ed. I’ve never seen ops directly in a module, so I don’t know if that affects this situation.

Nothing is using the results of your pulsar.conv operation: this is covered by what I described earlier as Do you have only side-effect-free operations that can all be folded away??

If you were to add an operation, let’s say pulsar.print(%2) that wouldn’t be side-effect free, this should all work.

Also in general we use another container inside the module, such as a function or a graph, or a program: there will have a way to express input/output (or argument/results).

Thank you for you reply!

I set the NoSideEffect mark on the pulsar.conv op.

The problem is solverd after I remove the NoSideEffect mark.

While that will solve the symptoms here, be aware that this isn’t a principled / correct fix.

2 Likes

:ok_hand:,I will change it into a correct fix in formal development