The type or size of virtual registers

Hi,

I wonder if there is an interface for me to access the type or size of virtual registers in the SSA form?
I have scanned the MachineOperand in CodeGen part, and failed to find this kind of info for virtual registers.

Hi,

I wonder if there is an interface for me to access the type or size of virtual registers in the SSA form?
I have scanned the MachineOperand in CodeGen part, and failed to find this kind of info for virtual registers.

The getType() method of Value * will return the LLVM type. The TargetData class will provide information on size for a type on a particular hardware platform.

-- John T.

Thanks for your help with me about the way to access type and size of Value.
But, I want also know the interface for me to access the type or size of virtual registers in the SSA form.

1. I find no way to associate the virtual registers with the Value class.
  2. I also tried to get the size of register nReg by:
    TargetRegisterClass::getSize(), where the TargetRegisterClass object is obtained by MachineRegisterInfo::getRegClass( nReg ).
    But, I found it always returned with the value 4 bytes, say, GR32 (My target is the x86-32 bits). If all virtual registers were size of 32 bits, how could we consider the alias register file during register allocation? Namely, if a temporary value could be stored in 8 bits, why do we give it 32 bits? So, I doubt my second way to get the size of virtual register was wrong. Need your further help.

2011/1/28 John Criswell <criswell@illinois.edu>

Thanks for your help with me about the way to access type and size of Value.
But, I want also know the interface for me to access the type or size of virtual registers in the SSA form.

1. I find no way to associate the virtual registers with the Value class.

In the in-memory LLVM IR, all of the SSA values are C++ objects derived from the Value class. For example, an Instruction object (class Instruction derives from class Value) is the SSA value generated by its result; they are one and the same.

1. I also tried to get the size of register nReg by:
    TargetRegisterClass::getSize(), where the TargetRegisterClass object is obtained by MachineRegisterInfo::getRegClass( nReg ).
    But, I found it always returned with the value 4 bytes, say, GR32 (My target is the x86-32 bits). If all virtual registers were size of 32 bits, how could we consider the alias register file during register allocation? Namely, if a temporary value could be stored in 8 bits, why do we give it 32 bits? So, I doubt my second way to get the size of virtual register was wrong. Need your further help.

I don’t work much with LLVM’s code generator infrastructure (I primarily do LLVM IR analysis and transforms), so I don’t think I can answer your question.

When working with pure LLVM IR, we use the TargetData class () to determine the size of various LLVM types. I’m not sure if it’s what you want to use in the code generator. Someone else will have to help you with that. – John T.

llvm::TargetRegisterClass::getSize()
llvm::TargetRegisterClass::getAllignment()
will return the size and alignment of a virtual register used both in register allocation and stack slot assignment.

llvm::TargetRegisterClass::alloc_order_begin()
llvm::TargetRegisterClass::alloc_order_end()will give a list of the possible physical registers.

When a virtual register is assigned a physical register by v-reg map, that physical register should be in the target register class of the v-reg, and the aliases to that physical register can be found by
llvm::TargetRegisterInfo::getAliasSet( physical-register )

The main classes to look at for register information is
TargetRegisterClass
TargetRegisterInfo
MachineRegisterInfo

Thanks,
Jeff Kunkel

Just a follow up to 2:

LLVM is allowed to expand the size of a register. Remember x86 machines cannot push or pop a 8 bit byte. The 8 bit byte would be expanded to 16 or 32 bits.

• Jeff Kunkel