Tips for speeding analysis up?

Hello,

I’m looking at Clang’s analyzer as a replacement for Split (that we’re currently using) and it really looks nice and promising. However, due to a relatively large code base the analysis takes really a lot of time (about 14 minutes compared to the 1 min for Splint) and it won’t be possible to make the analysis every time a developer compile that code (as we did with Splint).

The analysis provided by Clang is really nice and we can certainly run it every few commits/hours/during the night, however I was looking if there is a way to speed it up (even on cost of bugs found) a bit to also have it at compilation time.

Right know, I made sure it’s compiled as a release (and not debug version) and I also disabled deadstore, malloc and similar checks (I’ve noticed they were a little bit slower than other checks), html reports and I’m running it in the following way:

clang -cc1 -triple i386-pc-linux-gnu -analyze -disable-free -disable-llvm-verifier -analyzer-checker=core -analyzer-output plist -w -mrelocation-model static -mdisable-fp-elim -fmath-errno -masm-verbose -mconstructor-aliases -target-cpu pentium4 -target-linker-version 2.18.50.0.9 -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -resource-dir …/lib/clang/3.2 -fmodule-cache-path /var/tmp/clang-module-cache -internal-isystem /usr/local/include -internal-isystem …/lib/clang/3.2/include -internal-externc-isystem /include -internal-externc-isystem /usr/include -fdebug-compilation-dir clang/rx2 -ferror-limit 3 -fmessage-length 115 -mstackrealign -fobjc-runtime=gcc -fdiagnostics-show-option -fcolor-diagnostics

In this way it takes about 10 minutes to finish (still 10 times slower than Splint) that’s still too much to run it every time the code is compiled :confused:

May I ask you if you might have any hints for speeding up the analysis a little bit?

Thank you,

Vedran