Tooling support for LLVM-GCC, or CLANG?

Hi,

I seem to remember that a big point of LLVM being built with tooling support out of the box was a major thing, however, I’ve not read anything about any tools which are actually taking advantage of the foundation LLVM provides. I’m not a Mac user, but I’d assume XCode would be a prime candidate - does/will XCode use LLVMs foundation to create a better IDE experience? Also, anyone know of similar efforts for Linux-based IDEs?

Cheers,

Granville

Hi Granville,

Clang itself takes advantage of the LLVM libraries
(http://clang.llvm.org/). The static analyzer takes advantage of the
clang libraries (same URL). There are a host of tools in the tools/
sub-directory, which all use the LLVM libraries.

:slight_smile:

-bw

I’m more interested in whether or not there are any projects in the works that fuse the tools together to build a better IDE experience. I forget which presentation it was, but one of the developers (I think it was the gentleman that presented something on CLANG at the dev’s conference 2008) made a bit of a point by saying that LLVM, unlike GCC has been built from the ground up with tooling in mind. I appreciate that the tools that ship with LLVM use the foundation in place, however, I am curious as to whether there are any IDE projects that are building further upon this.

Granville

I’m more interested in whether or not there are any projects in the works that fuse the tools together to build a better IDE experience. I forget which presentation it was, but one of the developers (I think it was the gentleman that presented something on CLANG at the dev’s conference 2008) made a bit of a point by saying that LLVM, unlike GCC has been built from the ground up with tooling in mind. I appreciate that the tools that ship with LLVM use the foundation in place, however, I am curious as to whether there are any IDE projects that are building further upon this.

Hi Granville,

I’m not aware of anything publicly announced that is taking advantage of this yet.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for clarifying.

Granville