type legalization/operation action

Dear there,

I have a target which is supporting the 32 bit operations natively. Right now,I want to make it support the 16 bits operations as well.
My initial thought is:
(1)
I can adding something like “ CCIfType< [i16], CCPromoteToType<i32>>”, to the CallingConv.td, then “all” the 16 bits operands will be automatically promoted to 32 bits, it will be all set.
but looks it is not the case.

(2)
Then I tried adding something like “ setOperationAction(ISD::ADD, MVT::i16, Promote)” to the IselLowering, it still failed to select the (i16 + i16)..

wondering which part I missed?

best

Kevin

Dear there,

I have a target which is supporting the 32 bit operations natively. Right now,I want to make it support the 16 bits operations as well.
My initial thought is:

Why do you need to do this? If you don't report having a 16-bit register type, all 16-bit operations should be appropriately promoted to 32-bit automatically?

-Matt

Dear there,

If you want to make 16-bit types legal you need to call:

addRegisterClass(MVT::i16, SomeRegisterClass) in your Target's TargetLowering
implementation.

My initial thought is:
(1)
I can adding something like “ CCIfType< [i16], CCPromoteToType<i32>>”, to the CallingConv.td, then “all” the 16 bits operands will be automatically promoted to 32 bits, it will be all set.

(2)
Then I tried adding something like “ setOperationAction(ISD::ADD, MVT::i16, Promote)” to the IselLowering, it still failed to select the (i16 + i16)..

Promoting ISD::ADD is not supported. Take a look in SelectionDAGLegalize::PromoteNode()
to see which opcodes can be promoted. You will either need to custome lower it or
properly handle it in the PromoteNode() function.

-Tom

Dear there,

If you want to make 16-bit types legal you need to call:

addRegisterClass(MVT::i16, SomeRegisterClass) in your Target's TargetLowering
implementation.

yeah., it is working.

My initial thought is:
(1)

——————how to understand the “promote” in CallingConv.td?

(2)

Promoting ISD::ADD is not supported. Take a look in SelectionDAGLegalize::PromoteNode()
to see which opcodes can be promoted. You will either need to custome lower it or
properly handle it in the PromoteNode() function.

thank you very much!

Think I run into this problem as well, it made me think the Promote is not working.

best

Dear there,

My initial thought is:

Why do you need to do this? If you don't report having a 16-bit register type, all 16-bit operations should be appropriately promoted to 32-bit automatically?

Thank you! I will discuss with team about this!

Best

Kevin

Adding back llvmdev.

Hi guys,
Talking about the following issue:
"

def: Pat< (i16 (add i16:$src1 i16:$src2)), ( ConvertToi16 ( IADDs (ZERO_EXTENDx i16:$src1) (ZERO_EXTENDx i16:$src2)))>

This pattern is emulating 16-bit addition using a 32-bit add.
If you have native 16-bit instructions then you shouldn't use this
pattern.

-Tom

Since I don’t have the native 16 bit operation support, I am going to “emulate” the operations using the corresponding 32 bits ops.
So I need the pattens like it is in above, or something like
"
  def: Pat< (i16 (add i16:$src1 i16:$src2)), ( trunc ( IADDs (zext i16:$src1) (zext i16:$src2)))>

of course, this pattern will not work, because the llvm node “trunc”, “zext” appears in the output patterns.
However, my “trunc”, “zext” is defined as patterns, so I don’t have something native supported like “TRUNCsr”, “ZEXTsr”.

How to solve those conflicts?

Best

Kevin

Hi guys,
"

def: Pat< (i16 (add i16:$src1 i16:$src2)), ( ConvertToi16 ( IADDs (ZERO_EXTENDx i16:$src1) (ZERO_EXTENDx i16:$src2)))>

This pattern is emulating 16-bit addition using a 32-bit add.
If you have native 16-bit instructions then you shouldn't use this
pattern.

-Tom

Since I don’t have the native 16 bit operation support, I am going to “emulate” the operations using the corresponding 32 bits ops.
"
  def: Pat< (i16 (add i16:$src1 i16:$src2)), ( trunc ( IADDs (zext i16:$src1) (zext i16:$src2)))>

of course, this pattern will not work, because the llvm node “trunc”, “zext” appears in the output patterns.
However, my “trunc”, “zext” is defined as patterns, so I don’t have something native supported like “TRUNCsr”, “ZEXTsr”.

Just don’t want to copy the stuff which is implementing the “zext”, “trunc” into my new pattern.

Hi guys,
"
>> “
>> def: Pat< (i16 (add i16:$src1 i16:$src2)), ( ConvertToi16 ( IADDs (ZERO_EXTENDx i16:$src1) (ZERO_EXTENDx i16:$src2)))>
>> “
>
> This pattern is emulating 16-bit addition using a 32-bit add.
> If you have native 16-bit instructions then you shouldn't use this
> pattern.
>
> -Tom

"

If you don't support native i16 operations, then don't declare i16 as a
legal type and llvm will automatically promote these nodes using 32-bit ops.

Then you will only need patterns for 32-bit instructions.

-Tom