Unable to do even basic Clang tutorial

I’m trying to do the tutorials at:

https://github.com/loarabia/Clang-tu…i/TutorialOrig

and I can’t even do the first tutorial. I installed LLVM 3.1 and Clang 3.1 and when I do:

~/loarabia-Clang-tutorial-3d79443$ clang++ tutorial1.cpp In file included from tutorial1.cpp:5: In file included from ./llvm/Support/raw_ostream.h:17: ./llvm/Support/llvm/ADT/StringRef.h:13:10: fatal error: ‘llvm/Support/type_traits.h’ file not found

include “llvm/Support/type_traits.h”
^
1 error generated.

Do you know what I am doing wrong? I’m not sure what is the best way to handle this header file problem.

I’m running Ubuntu 12.04.

Thank you.

Have you looked here: http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html

Chad

Did you build it or "install" it from a package? If you build it, then you need do a 'make install' and include the installed location of clang/llvm headers directories in your include path.

I downloaded the 3.1 LLVM and Clang sources.

I followed the directions at: http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html

I am able to use Clang to compile stuff, but I could already do that with GCC.

I’m trying to use Clang for parsing code, but I can’t even get started.

Can you tell me how to “include the installed location of clang/llvm headers directories in your include path”?

Thanks!

I downloaded the 3.1 LLVM and Clang sources.

I followed the directions at: http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html

I am able to use Clang to compile stuff, but I could already do that with GCC.

I’m trying to use Clang for parsing code, but I can’t even get started.

Can you tell me how to “include the installed location of clang/llvm headers directories in your include path”?

Thanks!

Use the -I<install path>/include .

This directory <install path>/include should look something like:

clang/ clang-c/ llvm/ llvm-c/

HTH
ashok

Hi Ashok,

The documentation suggests that I put clang inside of llvm/tools and so I have two separate include directories. I tried both of them and neither worked:

$ clang++ -I llvm/include tutorial1.cpp
In file included from tutorial1.cpp:5:
In file included from llvm/include/llvm/Support/raw_ostream.h:17:
In file included from llvm/include/llvm/ADT/StringRef.h:13:
llvm/include/llvm/Support/type_traits.h:20:10: fatal error: ‘llvm/Support/DataTypes.h’ file not found
#include “llvm/Support/DataTypes.h”
^
1 error generated.

$ clang++ -I llvm/tools/clang/include/ tutorial1.cpp
tutorial1.cpp:5:10: fatal error: ‘llvm/Support/raw_ostream.h’ file not found
#include “llvm/Support/raw_ostream.h”
^
1 error generated.

Any help you can provide is very much appreciated.

The "make install" should collect everything into your <install path>. The <install path> will then have bin, lib and include dirs.

The "make install" should collect everything into your <install path>.
The <install path> will then have bin, lib and include dirs.

And you should be able to specify the install path with the --prefix option when configuring. I believe the default is /usr/local (see: configure --help to verify).

Chad

I followed the directions at http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html and after make, I did make install.

The only thing I didn’t do though was make at the clang directory as the directions said clang would automatically get built.

When I do make in the clang directory, I get:

~/llvm/tools/clang$ make
…/…/Makefile.common:61: …/…/Makefile.config: No such file or directory
…/…/Makefile.common:69: /Makefile.rules: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/Makefile.rules’. Stop.

Do you think that the problem is with the distro I chose? I’m using Ubuntu 12.04.

$ ls /usr/local/include/

llvm llvm-c

Does this mean Clang wasn’t installed properly on my Ubuntu machine?

I did a make install in my ~/build directory and I thought this would install Clang. At least there is a /usr/bin/clang.

When I do make in my ~/build/tools/clang directory, I get:

~/build/tools/clang$ make
make[1]: Entering directory /home/username/build/tools/clang/utils/TableGen' make[1]: Nothing to be done for all’.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/username/build/tools/clang/utils/TableGen’
make: *** [all] Error 1

Hi Ashok,

As I mentioned in my earlier e-mail, my /usr/local/include does not have clang/ or clang-c/.

I’m unable to do a make or make install in the Clang build directory. How do I fix this?

Thanks!

Looks like your make/install is incomplete wrt clang. I follow the instuctions for checking out the sources but build using cmake instead of configure:

cmake -G ""Unix Makefiles" -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="X86" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Release" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="../bin" ../llvm
make install

This builds and installs llvm+clang in the bin directory one level above llvm. I tried using configure earlier but had some problems.

ashok

Hi Ashok,

I created a new Ubuntu 12.04 virtual machine and followed directions except that I know use your cmake command instead of configure, and I got the error below.

Any help is very much appreciated.

$ /home/ubuntu/bin/bin/clang++ -I /home/ubuntu/bin/include/ tutorial1.cpp
In file included from tutorial1.cpp:5:
In file included from /home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/raw_ostream.h:17:
In file included from /home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/ADT/StringRef.h:13:
In file included from /home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/type_traits.h:20:
/home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/DataTypes.h:48:3: error: “Must #define __STDC_LIMIT_MACROS before #including
Support/DataTypes.h”

error “Must #define __STDC_LIMIT_MACROS before #including Support/DataTypes.h”

^
/home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/DataTypes.h:52:3: error: "Must #define __STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS before "
#including Support/DataTypes.h”

error "Must #define __STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS before " \

^
In file included from tutorial1.cpp:6:
In file included from /home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/Host.h:17:
In file included from /home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/ADT/StringMap.h:18:
In file included from /home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/Allocator.h:18:
/home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/MathExtras.h:38:24: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘INT64_C’
return N >= 64 || (-(INT64_C(1)<<(N-1)) <= x && x < (INT64_C(1)<<(N-1)));
^
/home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/MathExtras.h:38:56: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘INT64_C’
^
/home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/MathExtras.h:64:26: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘UINT64_C’
return N >= 64 || x < (UINT64_C(1)<<N);
^
/home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/MathExtras.h:96:24: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘INT64_C’
^
/home/ubuntu/bin/include/llvm/Support/MathExtras.h:96:56: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘INT64_C’
^
7 errors generated.

Add -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS to your compilation flag.

OK. Thanks. I now get the following error (which appears to be a problem w/ the tutorial itself?):

$ /home/ubuntu/bin/bin/clang++ -I /home/ubuntu/bin/include/ -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS tutorial1.cpp/tmp/tutorial1-LQ71fW.o: In function main': tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x42): undefined reference to llvm::outs()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x72): undefined reference to clang::TextDiagnosticPrinter::TextDiagnosticPrinter(llvm::raw_ostream&, clang::DiagnosticOptions const&, bool)' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0xd7): undefined reference to clang::DiagnosticsEngine::DiagnosticsEngine(llvm::IntrusiveRefCntPtrclang::DiagnosticIDs const&, clang::DiagnosticConsumer*, bool)’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0xf4): undefined reference to clang::LangOptions::LangOptions()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x125): undefined reference to clang::FileManager::FileManager(clang::FileSystemOptions const&)’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x148): undefined reference to clang::SourceManager::SourceManager(clang::DiagnosticsEngine&, clang::FileManager&)' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x17c): undefined reference to llvm::sys::getDefaultTargetTriple()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x1d0): undefined reference to clang::TargetInfo::CreateTargetInfo(clang::DiagnosticsEngine&, clang::TargetOptions&)' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x211): undefined reference to clang::HeaderSearch::HeaderSearch(clang::FileManager&, clang::DiagnosticsEngine&, clang::LangOptions const&, clang::TargetInfo const*)’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x225): undefined reference to clang::CompilerInstance::CompilerInstance()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x288): undefined reference to clang::Preprocessor::Preprocessor(clang::DiagnosticsEngine&, clang::LangOptions&, clang::TargetInfo const*, clang::SourceManager&, clang::HeaderSearch&, clang::ModuleLoader&, clang::IdentifierInfoLookup*, bool, bool, bool)’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x2ad): undefined reference to clang::Preprocessor::~Preprocessor()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x370): undefined reference to clang::CompilerInstance::~CompilerInstance()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x384): undefined reference to clang::CompilerInstance::~CompilerInstance()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x398): undefined reference to clang::HeaderSearch::~HeaderSearch()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x3c5): undefined reference to clang::HeaderSearch::~HeaderSearch()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x3de): undefined reference to clang::SourceManager::~SourceManager()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x40b): undefined reference to clang::FileManager::~FileManager()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x41f): undefined reference to clang::SourceManager::~SourceManager()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x44c): undefined reference to clang::FileManager::~FileManager()' /tmp/tutorial1-LQ71fW.o: In function llvm::RefCountedBaseclang::DiagnosticIDs::Release() const’:
tutorial1.cpp:(.text._ZNK4llvm14RefCountedBaseIN5clang13DiagnosticIDsEE7ReleaseEv[_ZNK4llvm14RefCountedBaseIN5clang13DiagnosticIDsEE7ReleaseEv]+0x88): undefined reference to `clang::DiagnosticIDs::~DiagnosticIDs()’
clang-3: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

NY Knicks Fan <nyknicksfan92009@yahoo.com> writes:

OK. Thanks. I now get the following error (which appears to be a
problem w/ the tutorial itself?):

Uhmmm... sorry if I sound blunt, but you are trying to use a C++
framework for doing a complex task when it is obvious that you are not
familiar enough with the usage of a C++ toolkit (compiler+linker).

In my humble opinion, you should learn well how C++ development works
(and learn C++ well too). Then you can start using the Clang libraries
fixing yourself all those problems you found so far in no time.

You will need to link to the LLVM/clang libraries. To get the correct flags, you can run:
./llvm-config --ldflags --libs

and use the flags reported.

Hi Ashok,

$ cd bin/bin

$ ./llvm-config --ldflags --libs
-L/home/ubuntu/bin/lib -ldl -lpthread
-lLLVMAsmParser -lLLVMTableGen -lLLVMDebugInfo -lLLVMX86Disassembler -lLLVMX86AsmParser -lLLVMX86CodeGen -lLLVMSelectionDAG -lLLVMAsmPrinter -lLLVMX86Desc -lLLVMX86Info -lLLVMX86AsmPrinter -lLLVMX86Utils -lLLVMJIT -lLLVMMCDisassembler -lLLVMMCParser -lLLVMInstrumentation -lLLVMInterpreter -lLLVMCodeGen -lLLVMipo -lLLVMVectorize -lLLVMScalarOpts -lLLVMInstCombine -lLLVMLinker -lLLVMTransformUtils -lLLVMipa -lLLVMAnalysis -lLLVMArchive -lLLVMBitReader -lLLVMBitWriter -lLLVMMCJIT -lLLVMRuntimeDyld -lLLVMExecutionEngine -lLLVMTarget -lLLVMMC -lLLVMObject -lLLVMCore -lLLVMSupport

Now clang++ still can’t find llvm/clang: (any help is very much appreciated)

$ /home/ubuntu/bin/bin/clang++ -I /home/ubuntu/bin/include/ -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -L/home/ubuntu/bin/lib -ldl -lpthread -lLLVMAsmParser -lLLVMTableGen -lLLVMDebugInfo -lLLVMX86Disassembler -lLLVMX86AsmParser -lLLVMX86CodeGen -lLLVMSelectionDAG -lLLVMAsmPrinter -lLLVMX86Desc -lLLVMX86Info -lLLVMX86AsmPrinter -lLLVMX86Utils -lLLVMJIT -lLLVMMCDisassembler -lLLVMMCParser -lLLVMInstrumentation -lLLVMInterpreter -lLLVMCodeGen -lLLVMipo -lLLVMVectorize -lLLVMScalarOpts -lLLVMInstCombine -lLLVMLinker -lLLVMTransformUtils -lLLVMipa -lLLVMAnalysis -lLLVMArchive -lLLVMBitReader -lLLVMBitWriter -lLLVMMCJIT -lLLVMRuntimeDyld -lLLVMExecutionEngine -lLLVMTarget -lLLVMMC -lLLVMObject -lLLVMCore -lLLVMSupport tutorial1.cpp
/tmp/tutorial1-oP8CUT.o: In function main': tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x42): undefined reference to llvm::outs()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x72): undefined reference to clang::TextDiagnosticPrinter::TextDiagnosticPrinter(llvm::raw_ostream&, clang::DiagnosticOptions const&, bool)' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0xd7): undefined reference to clang::DiagnosticsEngine::DiagnosticsEngine(llvm::IntrusiveRefCntPtrclang::DiagnosticIDs const&, clang::DiagnosticConsumer*, bool)’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0xf4): undefined reference to clang::LangOptions::LangOptions()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x125): undefined reference to clang::FileManager::FileManager(clang::FileSystemOptions const&)’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x148): undefined reference to clang::SourceManager::SourceManager(clang::DiagnosticsEngine&, clang::FileManager&)' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x17c): undefined reference to llvm::sys::getDefaultTargetTriple()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x1d0): undefined reference to clang::TargetInfo::CreateTargetInfo(clang::DiagnosticsEngine&, clang::TargetOptions&)' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x211): undefined reference to clang::HeaderSearch::HeaderSearch(clang::FileManager&, clang::DiagnosticsEngine&, clang::LangOptions const&, clang::TargetInfo const*)’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x225): undefined reference to clang::CompilerInstance::CompilerInstance()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x288): undefined reference to clang::Preprocessor::Preprocessor(clang::DiagnosticsEngine&, clang::LangOptions&, clang::TargetInfo const*, clang::SourceManager&, clang::HeaderSearch&, clang::ModuleLoader&, clang::IdentifierInfoLookup*, bool, bool, bool)’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x2ad): undefined reference to clang::Preprocessor::~Preprocessor()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x370): undefined reference to clang::CompilerInstance::~CompilerInstance()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x384): undefined reference to clang::CompilerInstance::~CompilerInstance()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x398): undefined reference to clang::HeaderSearch::~HeaderSearch()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x3c5): undefined reference to clang::HeaderSearch::~HeaderSearch()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x3de): undefined reference to clang::SourceManager::~SourceManager()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x40b): undefined reference to clang::FileManager::~FileManager()' tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x41f): undefined reference to clang::SourceManager::~SourceManager()’
tutorial1.cpp:(.text+0x44c): undefined reference to clang::FileManager::~FileManager()' /tmp/tutorial1-oP8CUT.o: In function llvm::RefCountedBaseclang::DiagnosticIDs::Release() const’:
tutorial1.cpp:(.text._ZNK4llvm14RefCountedBaseIN5clang13DiagnosticIDsEE7ReleaseEv[_ZNK4llvm14RefCountedBaseIN5clang13DiagnosticIDsEE7ReleaseEv]+0x88): undefined reference to `clang::DiagnosticIDs::~DiagnosticIDs()’
clang-3: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

You need to link in the libclang* as well.