Hi,

I tried to compile my simple test:

#define __declspec
#include <vector>

int main() {
  std::vector<int> v;
  return 0;
}

and for the first time the include of <vector> work (ie no parsing error), good. (note that I am using clang on windows with the mingw 3.4.5 headers and that the define __declspec is needed. perhaps it should be added to the predefined macro? as clang support the dllimport attribute)

now, the instanciation of the vector assert:

Assertion failed: false && "Unable to find declaration for the current instantiation", file ..\..\..\..\..\tools\clang\lib\Sema\SemaTemplateInstantiateDecl.cpp, line 1411

(I suppose this is know, but if not, I attached the zipped preprocessed output (clang-cc -E))

anyways, great work!

regards,

Cédric

test.zip (23 KB)

Hi,

I tried to compile my simple test:

#define __declspec
#include

int main() {
std::vector v;
return 0;
}

and for the first time the include of work (ie no parsing error), good.

Yes, we’re able to parse a bunch of libstdc++ headers now without spurious errors, but (as you’ve seen) we’re a long way from being able to handle C++ programs.

(note that I am using clang on windows with the mingw 3.4.5 headers and that the define __declspec is needed. perhaps it should be added to the predefined macro? as clang support the dllimport attribute)

We have some support for parsing __declspec already, but I’m sure that we’re missing it when parsing some C++ constructs. What kinds of problems are you seeing with __declspec?

Assertion failed: false && “Unable to find declaration for the current instantiation”, file …\tools\clang\lib\Sema\SemaTemplateInstantiateDecl.cpp, line 1411

FWIW, this is coming from an attempt to instantiate a default argument expression in a template (that refers to a typedef), e.g.,

template
struct X1 {
typedef T value_type;
X1(const value_type& value = value_type());
};

void test_X1() {
X1 x1;
}

I should have a fix soon.

• Doug

(note that I am using clang on windows with the mingw 3.4.5 headers and that the define __declspec is needed. perhaps it should be added to the predefined macro? as clang support the dllimport attribute)

We have some support for parsing __declspec already, but I'm sure that we're missing it when parsing some C++ constructs. What kinds of problems are you seeing with __declspec?

It is mingw specific and not a problem on declspec. In _mingw.h, there is:

#ifndef __GNUC__
# ifndef __MINGW_IMPORT
# define __MINGW_IMPORT __declspec(dllimport)
# endif
# ifndef _CRTIMP
# define _CRTIMP __declspec(dllimport)
# endif
# define __DECLSPEC_SUPPORTED
# define __attribute__(x) /* nothing */
#else /* __GNUC__ */
# ifdef __declspec
# ifndef __MINGW_IMPORT
   /* Note the extern. This is needed to work around GCC's
      limitations in handling dllimport attribute. */
# define __MINGW_IMPORT extern __attribute__ ((__dllimport__))
# endif
# ifndef _CRTIMP
# ifdef __USE_CRTIMP
# define _CRTIMP __attribute__ ((dllimport))
# else
# define _CRTIMP
# endif
# endif
# define __DECLSPEC_SUPPORTED
# else /* __declspec */
# undef __DECLSPEC_SUPPORTED
# undef __MINGW_IMPORT
# ifndef _CRTIMP
# define _CRTIMP
# endif
# endif /* __declspec */

and if __MINGW_IMPORT is not defined, there is problems latter in the compilation (in time.h for exemple).
So when you have __GNUC__ defined, you have to have __declspec defined, else it does not work. Anyway putting a define __declspec allowed me to parse this, even if it is a big hack)
(in fact if __MSVCRT__ can be undefined, __MINGW_IMPORT should not be used...)

Assertion failed: false && "Unable to find declaration for the current instantiation", file ..\..\..\..\..\tools\clang\lib\Sema\SemaTemplateInstantiateDecl.cpp, line 1411

FWIW, this is coming from an attempt to instantiate a default argument expression in a template (that refers to a typedef), e.g.,

I see, thanks for the explanation. I must say I am eager to have good c++ semantic analyse working to be able to use clang for static analysis and inteligent refactoring, but I know the task is daunting so I am waiting. Sadly I don't have enough times to contribute (need to finish my phd first). just following the project is already quite time consuming :slight_smile:

regards,

Cédric

We have some support for parsing __declspec already, but I’m sure that we’re missing it when parsing some C++ constructs. What kinds of problems are you seeing with __declspec?

It is mingw specific and not a problem on declspec. In _mingw.h, there is:

#ifndef GNUC

ifndef __MINGW_IMPORT

define __MINGW_IMPORT __declspec(dllimport)

endif

ifndef _CRTIMP

define _CRTIMP __declspec(dllimport)

endif

define __DECLSPEC_SUPPORTED

define attribute(x) /* nothing */

#else /* GNUC */

ifdef __declspec

ifndef __MINGW_IMPORT

/* Note the extern. This is needed to work around GCC’s
limitations in handling dllimport attribute. */

define __MINGW_IMPORT extern attribute ((dllimport))

endif

ifndef _CRTIMP

ifdef __USE_CRTIMP

define _CRTIMP attribute ((dllimport))

else

define _CRTIMP

endif

endif

define __DECLSPEC_SUPPORTED

else /* __declspec */

undef __DECLSPEC_SUPPORTED

undef __MINGW_IMPORT

ifndef _CRTIMP

define _CRTIMP

endif

endif /* __declspec */

and if __MINGW_IMPORT is not defined, there is problems latter in the compilation (in time.h for exemple).
So when you have GNUC defined, you have to have __declspec defined, else it does not work. Anyway putting a define __declspec allowed me to parse this, even if it is a big hack)
(in fact if MSVCRT can be undefined, __MINGW_IMPORT should not be used…)

Okay, so we need to be defining __declspec on mingw targets. That involves creating a new target for MinGW32/64 (in lib/Basic/Targets.cpp) that adds these defines into its getTargetDefines() function. The actual spelling of the predefined __declspec (and any other mingw-specific macros) will be shown in the output of

touch foo.cpp
g++ -dM -E foo.cpp

Assertion failed: false && “Unable to find declaration for the current instantiation”, file …\tools\clang\lib\Sema\SemaTemplateInstantiateDecl.cpp, line 1411

I see, thanks for the explanation. I must say I am eager to have good c++ semantic analyse working to be able to use clang for static analysis and inteligent refactoring, but I know the task is daunting so I am waiting.

We’re inching closer :slight_smile:

• Doug