[Analyzer] Placement new related checker

Hi,

I am working on a SEI CERT checker (Provide placement new with properly aligned pointers to sufficient storage capacity). This should give reports on the following:

#include

void f() {
short s;
long *lp = ::new (&s) long; // warning: insufficient storage
}

First I thought, the best place for the implementation would be in the existing MallocChecker.cpp.
However, there are a bunch of classes (e.g. the MallocBugVisitor) which seems to be unrelated and not needed for this new check. Now I am fidgeting because maybe it would be better to have a self-contained independent .cpp file for the implementation. What do you think, what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Gabor

Hey!

A new idea is rising nowadays to split the checkers into two main
parts: one for modeling, one for checking for certain issues. In this
new form the MallocChecker.cpp needs to only contain the modeling. I
like the idea of having a separated checker for checking.

I don't see much overlap between your checker and MallocChecker. You simply subscribe for PreStmt<CXXNewExpr> and introspect the argument region (check extent, maybe origins as well), possibly add a visitor to track it. The only thing i see here is that you might want to add MallocChecker's visitor to highlight the allocation site for a heap memory chunk (if you're placement-new-ing into a heap memory chunk) but that visitor is already shared across multiple checkers; and even then, you might be able to get away with trackExpressionValue() instead.

Ok,

Thanks guys, then I am going to put this checker in its own implementation file.

Gabor