build broken?

Following the instructions at:

http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html

I errored out with:

make[2]: Leaving directory /home/me/test-llvm/build/utils/llvm-lit' llvm[2]: Compiling AsmWriterEmitter.cpp for Debug+Asserts build /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regerror.o): In function gnu_dev_major’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:43: multiple definition of gnu_dev_major' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:43: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regerror.o): In function gnu_dev_makedev’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:55: multiple definition of gnu_dev_makedev' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:55: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regerror.o): In function gnu_dev_minor’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:49: multiple definition of gnu_dev_minor' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:49: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regexec.o): In function gnu_dev_major’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:43: multiple definition of gnu_dev_major' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:43: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regexec.o): In function gnu_dev_makedev’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:55: multiple definition of gnu_dev_makedev' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:55: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regexec.o): In function gnu_dev_minor’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:49: multiple definition of gnu_dev_minor' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:49: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regfree.o): In function gnu_dev_major’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:43: multiple definition of gnu_dev_major' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:43: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regfree.o): In function gnu_dev_makedev’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:55: multiple definition of gnu_dev_makedev' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:55: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regfree.o): In function gnu_dev_minor’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:49: multiple definition of gnu_dev_minor' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:49: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regstrlcpy.o): In function gnu_dev_major’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:43: multiple definition of gnu_dev_major' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:43: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regstrlcpy.o): In function gnu_dev_makedev’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:55: multiple definition of gnu_dev_makedev' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:55: first defined here /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regstrlcpy.o): In function gnu_dev_minor’:
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:49: multiple definition of gnu_dev_minor' /home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libLLVMSupport.a(regcomp.o):/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h:49: first defined here clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation) make[2]: *** [/home/me/test-llvm/build/Debug+Asserts/bin/FileCheck] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory /home/me/test-llvm/build/utils/FileCheck’
make[1]: *** [FileCheck/.makeall] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…

I’ve tried to build over the past couple weeks several times, thinking that there was just a temporary glitch in the trunk, but it seems to fail (and fail differently), each time I try. I was able to build using cmake, so it seems like maybe the configure/make infrastructure is falling out of date. Since that’s the recommended method on the getting started page, I thought I’d notify the list. Also, I’m much more comfortable with configure than cmake, so it would be nice if that worked.

Thanks!

One thing to try with weird compile errors on Linux is to specify
CC=gcc CXX=g++ ; clang will prefer to build with clang, and subtly
broken clang packages are not uncommon on Linux.

-Eli