Can I create an llvm::Function from a function pointer (for JIT)

I’m working through the Kaleidoscope tutorial. The mini language has a JIT and it can call out to C functions by creating an llvm::Function with the C function’s name. The JIT then looks up the implementation in the current process’s symbol table.

But I’ve added types to my mini-language, so I wanted to write some overloaded functions like:

func print(x: Int) { ... }
func print(s: String) { ... }

It’s simple to define those in C++, but then I don’t know the mangled name to give to the Function::Create(...) constructor.

Is there a way to either:

1. Create the llvm::Function with a function pointer, so it doesn’t use the name to look up the implementation.
  2. Get the mangled name of a C++ function at runtime?

I know how to get a mangled name by running nm and looking at the output. But that would be a bit weird - I’d have to compile once, then use nm to look at function names, then add them as strings in my code and compile again.

thanks,
Rob

You can’t create an actual Function without a name (it’s intrinsically a named global variable of some kind in LLVM), but you can inject the pointer as something like inttoptr(i64 <real world pointer> to ptr) and then call that like you would any for any indirect function call.

That’s hard, really only a C++ front-end knows how it’s going to mangle names, so for example the Swift language embeds a whole Clang front-end to do that job.

The reverse is significantly easier: surround the C++ definition with extern "C" and it won’t be mangled at all. This is often useful for languages that want to implemennt fixed runtime support functions in C++.

1 Like