Failed to replace stdlibc++ with libc++, linker phase error

Hi,

I’m currently working on one of my team’s project to build LLVM full clang toolchain (Clang, libcxx, libcxxabi) on a CentOS machine.

Previously we compiled our codebase with llvm-toolset-7/clang++, which by default takes stdlibc++ to compile and link. And now we’d like to switch to use LLVM clang with libc++. I have built libc++ and libc++abi from source (5.0.1 release) and set up related flags to compile our code base, but it turned out having some issue in the “linker” phase:

Flags set for complier:
-stdlib=libc++ -std=c++14

Flags set for linker:
-stdlib=libc++

Error:

/opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/7/…/…/…/…/bin/ld: product.o: undefined reference to symbol ‘__cxa_free_exception@@CXXABI_1.3
//lib64/libstdc++.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
clang-5.0: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

My question is:

1. We plan to replace stdlibc++ with libc++, and we’ve set up compiler and linker to run with "-stdlib=libc++', why is it complaining about libstdc++?
  2. How can we resolve this error? (any ideas would be appreciated!)
  3. Is there anything missing if we’d like to replace stdlibc++ with libc++?
  4. I also noticed when it’s in linker phase, these flags were set in the ld command (-lc++ -lm -lgcc_s -lgcc -lc -lgcc_s -lgcc ), which we didn’t have them setup anywhere in our project, just out of curiosity, are they added automatically? Why are they needed?

A little bit more details:
Environment: CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)
Clang version:

clang version 5.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_501/final)

Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Thread model: posix

Thanks for any ideas,
Aichi

Hi,

I'm currently working on one of my team's project to build LLVM full clang toolchain (Clang, libcxx, libcxxabi) on a CentOS machine.

Previously we compiled our codebase with llvm-toolset-7/clang++, which by default takes stdlibc++ to compile and link. And now we'd like to switch to use LLVM clang with libc++. I have built libc++ and libc++abi from source (5.0.1 release) and set up related flags to compile our code base, but it turned out having some issue in the "linker" phase:

Flags set for complier:

Flags set for linker:
-stdlib=libc++

Error:
/opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/7/../../../../bin/ld: product.o: undefined reference to symbol '__cxa_free_exception@@CXXABI_1.3'
clang-5.0: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

My question is:
1. We plan to replace stdlibc++ with libc++, and we've set up compiler and linker to run with "-stdlib=libc++', why is it complaining about libstdc++?

Can you post the full linker invocation with all the arguments?

What cmake arguments did you use when building libcxx and libcxxabi?

Not sure exactly, I would try passing -DLIBCXX_CXX_ABI=libcxxabi to cmake
when configuring libcxx if you have not already.

3. Is there anything missing if we'd like to replace stdlibc++ with libc++?
4. I also noticed when it's in linker phase, these flags were set in the ld command (-lc++ -lm -lgcc_s -lgcc -lc -lgcc_s -lgcc ), which we didn't have them setup anywhere in our project, just out of curiosity, are they added automatically? Why are they needed?

When you are using clang++ or g++ as the linker driver, then it automatically
adds the flags for you.

-Tom

Hi,

I'm currently working on one of my team's project to build LLVM full clang toolchain (Clang, libcxx, libcxxabi) on a CentOS machine.

Previously we compiled our codebase with llvm-toolset-7/clang++, which by default takes stdlibc++ to compile and link. And now we'd like to switch to use LLVM clang with libc++. I have built libc++ and libc++abi from source (5.0.1 release) and set up related flags to compile our code base, but it turned out having some issue in the "linker" phase:

Flags set for complier:

Flags set for linker:
-stdlib=libc++

Error:
/opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/7/../../../../bin/ld: product.o: undefined reference to symbol '__cxa_free_exception@@CXXABI_1.3'

My question is:
1. We plan to replace stdlibc++ with libc++, and we've set up compiler and linker to run with "-stdlib=libc++', why is it complaining about libstdc++?

Can you post the full linker invocation with all the arguments?

What cmake arguments did you use when building libcxx and libcxxabi?

Not sure exactly, I would try passing -DLIBCXX_CXX_ABI=libcxxabi to cmake
when configuring libcxx if you have not already.

If you are looking for a quick fix though, you might want to also try adding
-lc++abi to your linker flags.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your replies.

Following are the commands that I used to build clang/libcxx/libcxxabi:
clang:
cmake -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS=``"clang;libcxx;libcxxabi" -G ``"Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_LIBDIR_SUFFIX=64 ..``/llvm

libcxx:
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DLLVM_LIBDIR_SUFFIX=64 -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ …``

libcxxabi:

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=``/usr -DLLVM_LIBDIR_SUFFIX=64 -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ -DLIBCXXABI_LIBCXX_INCLUDES=../..``/libcxx/include ..

And based on what I searched on google, libcxx and libcxxabi might have circular dependency (please see the post here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25840088/how-to-build-libcxx-and-libcxxabi-by-clang-on-centos-7), so after I built libcxx with clang, build libcxxabi based on libcxx, I rebuilt libcxx again with libcxxabi with the following command:
`
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DLLVM_LIBDIR_SUFFIX=64 -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ -DLIBCXX_CXX_ABI=libcxxabi -DLIBCXX_CXX_ABI_INCLUDE_PATHS=…/…/libcxxabi/include …

I’ve tried what you suggested in your previous email (add linker flag: -lc++abi), but unfortunately I got the same error while building my project. Am I missing anything?

Thank you all,
Aichi

`
``

|

• |

``

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your replies.

Following are the commands that I used to build clang/libcxx/libcxxabi:
clang:
> cmake -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS=||"clang;libcxx;libcxxabi"| |-G ||"Unix Makefiles"| |-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_LIBDIR_SUFFIX=64 ..||/llvm|
>
>
libcxx:
>> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=||/usr| |-DLLVM_LIBDIR_SUFFIX=64 -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ ..|
>
>>
>>
libcxxabi:
> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=||/usr| |-DLLVM_LIBDIR_SUFFIX=64 -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ -DLIBCXXABI_LIBCXX_INCLUDES=../..||/libcxx/include| |..|
>

You should only need to run cmake once. Here is a minimal example build process that
I think should work:

git clone --branch release/5.x GitHub - llvm/llvm-project: The LLVM Project is a collection of modular and reusable compiler and toolchain technologies.
cd llvm-project
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS="libcxx;libcxxabi" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DLLVM_LIBDIR_SUFFIX=64 ../llvm/
make install-cxx

Then verify that libc++.so is actually a linker script with the correct libraries:

cat /usr/lib64/libc++.so

The output should look like this:

INPUT(libc++.so.1 -lc++abi)

-Tom