Fixing OS X Xcode build

Hi all,

At the current moment the OS X Xcode build is broken. I’ll be working on fixing it today. As has been discussed in the past, post llvm/clang-3.8 the configure/automake system was getting stripped out of LLVM and clang. The OS X Xcode build has a legacy step in it that still uses the configure-based build system. I’ll be cleaning that up today.

In the meantime, expect if you use the Xcode build that you’ll either need to work with llvm/clang from earlier than yesterday (along with locally undoing any changes in lldb for llvm/clang changes - there was at least one yesterday), or just sit tight a bit.

Thanks!

This is all fixed up by r259028. Change comments for r259027 contain some changes to the build requirements for Xcode OS X builds.

These boil down to essentially:

• OS X 10.9 is the minimum deployment version now, up from 10.8. This is driven by the LLVM/clang cmake-based build.

• Cmake is now required. (Not surprising, hopefully).

• The build grabs LLVM and clang source with git via the http://llvm.org/git/{project}.git mirrors if the code doesn’t already exist accessible via the lldb/llvm and lldb/llvm/tools/clang directory locations. Previously it would use svn for the initial retrieval.

The buildbot is turned back on and is now green. r259028 fixed a minor breakage in the gtest target that I forget to check when doing the work for r259027.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Todd

This is all fixed up by r259028. Change comments for r259027 contain some
changes to the build requirements for Xcode OS X builds.

These boil down to essentially:
* OS X 10.9 is the minimum deployment version now, up from 10.8. This is
driven by the LLVM/clang cmake-based build.

(FWIW we build clang binaries with a deployment target of 10.6 (this
requires some trickery due to libc++ not being there) -- the cmake-based
build should at least support 10.7 without any problems as far as I know.
Not that I have a problem with lldb requiring 10.9+, the reason just sounds
a bit surprising to me.)

Yeah, we poked around at it for a while here.

This is the issue I hit:

– Performing Test HAVE_CXX_ATOMICS_WITHOUT_LIB
– Performing Test HAVE_CXX_ATOMICS_WITHOUT_LIB - Failed
– Looking for __atomic_fetch_add_4 in atomic
– Looking for __atomic_fetch_add_4 in atomic - not found

CMake Error at cmake/modules/CheckAtomic.cmake:36 (message):
Host compiler appears to require libatomic, but cannot find it.

Call Stack (most recent call first):
cmake/config-ix.cmake:296 (include)
CMakeLists.txt:409 (include)
– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

With a deployment target set to 10.8, it doesn’t find the atomic header or a lib. With a deployment target of 10.9, it passes. (It finds the header). This is using Xcode 7.2 and 7.3 beta1 compilers, our latest publicly available options.

(7.3 beta 2 is public, but I was primarily focusing on on 7.2 and 7.3 beta 1).