[Flang][OpenMP][RFC] Replace flang/module/omp_lib.{f90,h} with openmp/runtime/src/include/omp_lib.{f90,h}

Fellow Flang developers,

I have created PR 80874 (WIP) to replace the existing omp_lib.h file and the omp_lib.f90 file (includes omp_lib.h) in flang/module/, and use the proper module definitions from openmp/runtime/src/include/ instead.

This has three main benefits:

• OpenMP runtime developers typically add new OpenMP functionality in openmp/runtime/src/include/ where both the C/C++ header file and also the Fortran files live.
  • Avoid the code duplication and potential inconsistencies between the different places where omp_lib.{f90,h} resides.
  • Be able to add proper PRIVATE statements to only expose exported entities rather than exposing all defined symbols due to PUBLIC default accessibility.

Please let me know what you think. PR 80874 already contains some of the ground work for the CMake changes needed and I’m working on completing this PR by resolving and fixing failures that I’m seeing in the test suite right now. It would be good to receive some comments here to be to converge the PR to a solution that will be a good way forward.

Kind regards,
-michael

1 Like

This sounds good to me.

Would this mean that we should always enable “OpenMP” in the list of projects for building flang? Can the OpenMP parser, semantics and lowering tests pass without this?

Good point! Up to now, Flang has blindly compiled omp_lib regardless of whether the OpenMP runtime was configured. At least, that’s how I understood the CMake that I have read. So, yes, this would for now enable OpenMP all the time (but can be made such that we could compile Flang w/o OpenMP support, meaning w/o the OpenMP runtime part).

Yes, but this allowed running the OpenMP tests without a dependency on the OpenMP runtime.

If we need to enable OpenMP runtime, we should change the build instructions in llvm-project/flang/docs/GettingStarted.md at main · llvm/llvm-project · GitHub.

flang couldn’t even compile omp_lib.f90 from openmp

It would be nice if we can avoid requiring the openmp runtime to be added all the time.

Why is that? Convenience? I don’t think people will notice the compile time difference.

Yes. I personally don’t enable it on my local build where I work on unrelated stuff.

Same here. I only enable it when it is needed.

I mean, that would just be needed then.
In addition to a one time effort to add “openmp” next to “clang” and “flang” in the project list, what other drawbacks do we expect?

Well “clang” is supposed to be not needed at some point as well. Is it this hard to make omp_lib build conditionnal in the cmake?

That’s being fixed as part of the PR I’m working on.

1 Like

I think it would be doable to make it optional. But, frankly, then Flang should also not accept -fopenmp and fail late in the link stage, but rather not accept the OpenMP-related compiler flags.

One thing I can surely do is to not build the modules and copy the omp_lib.h file, so that if the OpenMP runtime is not enabled, Flang will fail for “use omp_lib” similar to what I think Clang does for omp.h.

I am building with openmp for a long time, but I had to disable libomptarget with -DOPENMP_ENABLE_LIBOMPTARGET=OFF a while ago, because build breakages happened quite often and were sitting unresolved for long time.

2 Likes

That is not good. Can you send me the issues for build breakages that are not fixed?
We need to make sure that doesn’t happen in the future.

As I said, I disabled libomptarget build long time ago and never looked back. So I do not have any specific links.

Did you open an issue? I can go back and look for it. You mentioned it was sitting unresolved for a long time, right?

I did not file issues. These were breakages from some commits that were being resolved for a day or two without revert, which was unacceptably “long time” for me personally, because this blocked my regular testing. My testing did not use any of the offload features, so disabling libomptarget was a solution for me.

If I am not mistaken, one of the issues was related to the addition or removal of some linker option that was failing openmp buildbots quite regularly after re-commits. It was around that time when I disabled libomptarget in my config.

My initial comment was trying to answer your question “what other drawbacks do we expect”. If openmp is not required in my regular Flang testing, I would rather avoid building it and reduce the chance of having a broken build. By this I do not imply that the development of openmp project has any quality issues. Any extra component, added to the build, increases the chance of hitting a broken revision.

2 Likes

It seems reasonable that the openmp modules and headers are controlled by the openmp library build. The tests ought to be moved as well to openmp.

The openmp library is built for a target (meaning cross-compiling including self-target). Therefore it doesn’t make sense to me for openmp to be a prerequisite for clang or flang.

1 Like

That mirrors what clang does. Clang tests are self contained. If you want to use, let’s say std::abs, you define it in the appropriate header mockup in the test folder. We do not include system headers or headers of subprojects (except llvm-core maybe). Tests that include and depend on omp.h are in openmp/…

1 Like