Hi, I’m using Clang AST to parse C source code and rewrite AST nodes. In EndSourceFileAction() method of ASTFrontendAction class, I wish to get the rewritten code (not just the AST nodes that got rewritten, but the whole C source code after rewriting) and assign it to a string variable. Is there any way to do so?
I tried to use getRewrittenText() in Rewriter.h. It requires a SourceRange as an argument but I cannot find how to get the range of a rewriter.
The -ast-print option was originally added as a way to see if we kept source fidelity with our AST, basically as a debugging aid. However, it also predated clang-format and so there were some thoughts of “should this be our pretty printer?”. Eventually we landed on clang-format instead.
It’s best-effort because we don’t want to force people to update the printers (or the dumpers) when adding or modifying AST nodes, except beyond the bare minimum. It’s a hard argument to make that someone’s review should be blocked on -ast-print output, but if we got -ast-print to the point it had production-quality output, then we could start to do so.
In terms of examples of what best-effort looks like, this shows a few problems: Compiler Explorer (the attribute switched to being a type attribute, which would break code; the ctor and dtor have explicit markings for the template type). We do pretty good with the output, but it’s not 1:1 with what the user wrote in all cases.
Thanks for this info.
If I’m interested in the limitations in depth, do you know an effective way of uncovering discrepancies? In other words, if I don’t really care about attributes like in your example, are there other things broken/missing?
To give an example of the motivation why I’m asking is that users might want to “hash” the string provided by the pretty printer to get whitespace and preprocessor insensitive hash for decls and stmts. This already uncovered a crash like this. However, if it wouldn’t crash, it would likely just silently increase the chance of hash collisions, that are hard to discover.
Oh I’m sure there’s plenty more that’s broken, missing, or just not quite the same as what the user input. To uncover issues, you could probably write a script that takes an input source file, runs it through -ast-print to get the output, and then diff the results ignoring whitespace differences (we intend to output the same code as the source but it doesn’t have to be the same formatting) to see what changes exist. This won’t work for code using the preprocessor though: Compiler Explorer
Another approach would be to pretty print to a file and then see if that new file still compiles.