Improve Clang diagnostics 2
This project is similar to last year’s “Improve clang diagnostics” project: Improve Clang Diagnostics
The diagnostics clang emits are ultimately its interface to the developer. While the diagnostics are generally good, there are some rough edges that need to be ironed out. Some cases can be improved by special-casing them in the compiler as well.
As one can see from Clang’s issue tracker, there are lots of issues open against clang’s diagnostics.
This project does not aim to implement one big feature but instead focuses on smaller, incremental improvements to Clang’s diagnostics.
Possible issues to resolve:
- Calling `nullptr` function pointer in a constexpr function results in poor diagnostic · Issue #59872 · llvm/llvm-project · GitHub
- Print name of uninitialized subobject (instead of type) · Issue #58601 · llvm/llvm-project · GitHub
- [clang] New static_assert message is sometimes redundant · Issue #57906 · llvm/llvm-project · GitHub
- clang(++) unhelpful `frame-larger-than` warning, very small stack frame exceeding very large limit · Issue #57337 · llvm/llvm-project · GitHub
- Any issue you ran into yourself!
Or do you have a project in mind to improve the overall visuals of clang’s diagnostics? Open an issue on Github and we can talk about that as well.
At least three fixed smaller diagnostics issues.
- Intermediate C++ knowledge.
- Preferably experience in the Clang code base, since the issues mentioned can have their root cause in various parts of it.
- Preferably an already working local LLVM build