[RFC] Clang assembly/object equivalence for files with inline assembly

tl;dr Some inline assembly constructs, particularly certain .if directives, are not supported by integrated assemblers.
I plan to resolve this issue beginning with clang -c and subsequently addressing clang -S.
Since the clang -S fix is difficult,
certain .if constructs might work with clang -c but not with clang -S for an extended period of time.

C/C++ =(front end)=> LLVM IR =(middle end)=> LLVM IR (optimized) =(instruction selector)=> MachineInstr =(AsmPrinter)=> MCInst =(assembler)=> relocatable object file

In the AsmPrinter pass, AsmPrinter::emitInlineAsm handles inline assembly.

There are 3 code paths:

• -fno-integrated-as (except XCOFF for AIX): emit raw assembly to MCAsmStreamer to without parsing/checking
  • -S -fintegrated-as (also -c --save-temps -fintegrated-as): parse, check, and emit object code to MCAsmStreamer
  • -c -fintegrated-as: parse, check, and emit object code to MCObjectStreamer

In theory, their behaviors should be identical. However, quality of implementation can cause differences.
The most noticeable difference is inline assembly, which is known to be used extensively in Linux kernel.
(Personally I haven’t found any other projects stress testing LLVM integrated assembler to such a great extent.:slight_smile: )

In the past few years, many code constructs that only worked with -fno-integrated-as have been made working with -fintegrated-as as well.
However, a known issue, bothering several users and the Linux kernel (.if constant expression folding works for .s but not for inline assembly due to UseAssemblerInfoForParsing · Issue #62520 · llvm/llvm-project · GitHub), involves constant expression folding during inline assembly parsing.

GCC/gas accept the following inline assembly while our integrated assembler feature has trouble:

% cat b.cc
asm(R"(
.pushsection .text,"ax"
.globl _start; _start: ret
.if . -_start == 1
  ret
.endif
.popsection
)");
% gcc -S b.cc && gcc -c b.cc           # succeeded
% clang -S -fno-integrated-as b.cc     # succeeded

% clang -c b.cc     # failed now. will succeed with https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/91082
% clang -S b.cc     # failed. requires improvement to MCAsmStreamer
<inline asm>:4:5: error: expected absolute expression
    4 | .if . -_start == 1
      |     ^
1 error generated.

I propose [MC] Remove UseAssemblerInfoForParsing by MaskRay · Pull Request #91082 · llvm/llvm-project · GitHub to fix clang -c.
The error for clang -S will be handled in the future.

I’ve been involved in improving integrated assembler support over the past few years, including last year’s successful assembler revamp for RISC-V linker relaxation
Further enhancements to MCAsmStreamer are planned, including support for printing .if directives and

• Move MCObjectStreamer::Assembler to MCStreamer::Assembler so that MCAsmStreamer has access to the assembler.
  • In the Res->evaluateAsAbsolute call in AsmParser::parseExpression, pass MCAssembler.

However, these items are not of the highest priority in my spare time.

Alternative

Enhancing MCAsmStreamer to a level that allows seamless support for both clang -c and clang -S.
This approach would ensure consistent user experience and avoid potential confusion arising from differing outputs between the two commands.

I propose prioritizing improvements to MCObjectStreamer first given its relatively higher importance (than MCAsmStreamer), the impending need by the Linux kernel, and the simplification #91082 will bring (the patch will simplify the code in a few other places).

Discrepancies between assembler and object code:

In general, we aim for consistency between compiled source code and assembled intermediate assembly code.
This applies to both object file and diagnostics.
When discrepancies arise, we strive to identify and address them.
However, it’s important to acknowledge that some minor differences might exist.

1 Like

@smithp35

How hard would it be to carve out a hole specifically for .if? I care less about error messages than outright miscompiles. Looking at the patch, it looks like we already have a few places that “cheat” the assembler restriction.

MCAsmStreamer does not track symbol assignments (Fragment and Offset; see emitLabel). If we want to make the following work,

.pushsection .text,"ax"
.globl _start; _start: ret
.if . -_start == 1
  ret
.endif
.popsection

We should either move label assignments from MCObjectStreamer to MCStreamer or print .if/.else/.endif to MCAsmStreamer and ignore TheCondState.Ignore.