[RFC] Move ORC executor support into top-level project

Hi All,

Summary:

I think we should merge the LLVM OrcTargetProcess and compiler-rt ORC runtime libraries into a new top-level “orc-rt” project.

Background:

LLVM’s ORC JIT APIs support cross-process and cross-architecture execution of JIT’d code. Support code for out-of-process execution falls into two categories:

(1) Code that must be pre-linked into the executing process to bootstrap JIT’d code (e.g. memory managers, symbol resolvers, the JIT “executor-process-control server” code).

(2) Runtime support for advanced object format features for JIT’d code, e.g. static initializers, destructors, exceptions and thread-local-storage. This can be JIT-linked into the executor process by ORC.

Code for (1) currently lives in the LLVM OrcTargetProcess library, and code for (2) in the compiler-rt ORC runtime library.

Motivation

Moving this code into a new top-level project would address a few issues with our current setup:

1. The bootstrap code could be built for all systems that the compiler targets, rather than just the host architecture. (OrcTargetProcess is currently only built for the LLVM host architecture).

2. Compiler-rt developers wouldn’t have to explicitly opt out of building the ORC runtime (which many, if not most, compiler-rt devs do not use).

3. JIT developers wouldn’t have to build all of compiler-rt (or explicitly opt out of all other compiler-rt libraries) in order to test the JIT.

Proposal

We should move the OrcTargetProcess and ORC runtime libraries into a new top-level “orc-rt” project inside llvm-project. We should also replace the llvm-jitlink-executor test tool with an orc-executor test tool in the new “orc-rt” project. This would allow us to implement out-of-process execution tests in “orc-rt” alongside the existing regression tests from the compiler-rt ORC runtime library.

We should duplicate some basic bootstrap support in LLVM: enough to provide the same level of functionality as MCJIT (this will allow MCJIT clients to move to ORC without building the new project). Use of more advanced features (including lazy compilation, thread local storage, out-of-process initializers / deinitializers, etc.), may in future require building the “orc-rt” project. Since this would only involve enabling one extra top-level LLVM project I think it’s a reasonable burden to place on JIT developers

What do you think?

I’ve started putting together a sketch of the new project in to serve as a basis for discussion / prototyping for anyone who wants to get involved:

2 Likes

From a Julia perspective, I am on board! I recently was thinking about a use-case where I don’t want the rest of LLVM, but just JITLink, and this would be very helpful!

Agree, that would be useful! However, I think Lang is proposing to just move out the ORC runtime implementation from OrcTargetProcess (e.g. debugger support symbols) and merge it with the orc-rt implementation (e.g. TLS, initializers) which lives in compiler-rt today. In the proposal here, ORC and JITLink would stay in LLVM.

In the proposal here, ORC and JITLink would stay in LLVM.

That’s right. Only llvm-jitlink-executor would move to the new ORC-RT.

I do want to make ORC / JITLink usable without pulling in LLVM IR too (for clients who already have a compilation service and just want to accept raw objects from that) – that’ll reduce the baggage for using JITLink, but it’ll be a while before it happens (we’ll need to either break the dependence between ORC and Object, or Object and LLVM Core – any of those will take some work).

+1 This is a good idea.

runtime libraries into a new top-level “orc-rt” project

Inside LLVM people probably know ORC as the JIT and won’t confuse it with other things that have the same name (like the debug-info format, this DSL, or all kinds of things that orchestrate sth). If it becomes a top-level project now, that might be different. Why not call it jit-rt instead or orcjit-rt? That seems more obvious to me.