Trouble with virtual registers

I’m having trouble with virtual registers/register allocation in my back-end. Basically the FastRegAlloc pass is generating calls to storeToStackSlot and loadFromStackSlot, in which we build new machine instructions, which are then not processed by the reg allocator. I understand that BuildMI is changing the list of MachInst. that the allocator is iterating over, but we need to have a new virtual register as part of the stack store process since we don’t have indirect adressing. Should we be creating a physical register directly somehow, or can we perhaps signal to the allocator that the basic block’s contents are updated?

Below is our storeRegToStackSlot, the ADDri instruction is transformed into a copy-add pair in eliminateFrameIndex.

void OurTargetInstrInfo::storeRegToStackSlot(MachineBasicBlock &MBB,
MachineBasicBlock::iterator MI,
unsigned SrcReg, bool isKill, int FrameIdx,
const TargetRegisterClass RC,
const llvm::TargetRegisterInfo
) const {
DebugLoc DL;
if (MI != MBB.end()) DL = MI->getDebugLoc();
MachineFunction &MF = *MBB.getParent();
MachineFrameInfo &MFI = *MF.getFrameInfo();

MachineMemOperand *MMO =
MF.getMachineMemOperand(PseudoSourceValue::getFixedStack(FrameIdx),
MachineMemOperand::MOStore, 0,
MFI.getObjectSize(FrameIdx),
MFI.getObjectAlignment(FrameIdx));

unsigned tmpVReg = MF.getRegInfo().createVirtualRegister(OURTARGET::IntRegsRegisterClass);
MachineInstr* mi = BuildMI(MBB, MI, DL, get(OURTARGET::ADDri), tmpVReg).addFrameIndex(FrameIdx).addImm(0);
BuildMI(MBB, MI, DL, get(OURTARGET::STORE)).addReg(tmpVReg).addReg(SrcReg).addMemOperand(MMO);
}

Thanks a lot!
Per

The fast allocator could be spilling because it has run out of registers, so that is a really bad time to be creating new virtual registers.

You have two options:

1. Reserve a scratch register for use in spill code, or

2. Emit a pseudo-instruction for the spill, and get a register from the register scavenger during eliminateFrameIndex().

Look at the Blackfin and ARM targets for how to use the register scavenger.

/jakob