[Ask LLVM] Who’s Hiring? (Jan ‘24)

Hi folks,

It’s with a heavy heart that I once again come asking for help from the LLVM community. A few of my colleagues working on LLVM were let go during a recent round of layoffs, and I could use assistance helping ensure folks land on their feet.

If you or your company are hiring folks with LLVM or compiler expertise, mind posting more info below (or getting in touch with me privately)?

If you’re a colleague of mine, please consider reaching out internally or privately on how you can help.

If you were affected by the recent actions, please do not hesitate to ask for help, here or anywhere. Please know you’re not alone and people want to assist. We do have the Bay Area monthly meetup coming up Jan 29 in Mountain View; there may be other meetups in your area. I’m always available to chat, supply formal recommendations, refer/network, and will even buy the beers. It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this.

I was hoping this was going to be a one time thing

12 Likes

Ugh. I’m sorry to hear that January layoffs seem to be becoming an annual thing.

My group is hiring for a number of positions at AMD. We are trying to get organized to have everything posted in the next couple of weeks, but in the meantime, feel free to have impacted folks with a track record in LLVM DM me (here or on discord) and we can chat about options.

3 Likes

It’s likely that pretty much the same list from Jan 23 are applicable this year.

There’s usually some weak correlation between company job listings and openings. As in don’t take the lists on websites too seriously. I’m happy to talk to anyone about AMD and I’ll share this post with a few people from other companies.

Good luck to those searching.

2 Likes

Really sorry to hear about this :frowning:

Please feel free to DM me about our openings at Arm. Or if you feel that I can support you in any way!

We are almost always hiring folks with LLVM experience.You can browse Arm’s job listings here: https://careers.arm.com/ (adding a generic link in case the links below expire). Here are specific LLVM positions that we are hiring for right now:

Best of luck,
-Andrzej

Hey, sorry to anyone impacted by the layoffs. I hope everyone lands on their feet. Hopefully I can help out a bit with that.

Over at Woven by Toyota, we’re hiring compiler engineers.

If you’ve got a few years of experience, and are comfortable with working on various parts of LLVM, we’d love to talk to you. Some familiar faces from about the extended compiler universe that work at Woven include myself, Takumi Nakamura, JF Bastien, Hana Dusíková, Robert Seacord, and Anthony Williams.

We’re contributing to open source llvm-project as a part of this work.

We’re currently prioritizing hiring compiler engineers in Tokyo, Japan (and can relocate folks), but please feel free to reach out if you’re located elsewhere. Also, FWIW, moving to Japan is pretty cool. :slight_smile: (I did it with 0 language skills.)

Job posting available here.

I’m happy to chat over Discord or via DM here if you want more info.

3 Likes

Maybe the same as Stellaraccident, but I know AMD in Köln Germany was looking for LLVM expertise recently since they had job offers asking for that.

The policy for LLVM job advertisement is to post only positions that involve working on LLVM-based projects (either contribute upstream, or work downstream: like a LLVM backend, a clang-based compiler, a MLIR-based project, etc.) and make it clear in the description. A job description asking for “LLVM experience” isn’t enough

Your job posting @barrelshifter is a good example of problematic posting: can you try to get the posting updated to make it explicit about working on LLVM-based project?

1 Like

Sure, for now, I’ll remove the official link and see if I can get that edited.

UPDATE: I got the job posting updated to clarify that the job involves contributing to LLVM and edited my original post.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

I am hiring someone with compiler/linker/runtime level experience (C++, arm64 asm) at Shorebird: Jobs.

Our need overlaps with the LLVM project, but we do not use LLVM libraries directly (other than via clang). We’ve forked Dart (dart.dev) and modified the runtime and compiler extensively. Dart did an experiment of using LLVM’s IL/Backend a few years back but has kept their own custom stack for now. As the 4th person at the company, compiler-level experience well be very helpful, but with only 3 of us so far, there will be tons of things to work on across the full stack.

We’ve modified Dart (both compiler and runtime) to be able to transparently swap between executing on an ARM interpreter and on the real CPU at a function-level. We’ve built a very basic linker to figure out which which functions are safe to share, and modified the runtime to be able to stamp out executable thunks to allow safe transfer between CPU and interpreter. There is a lot more someone with experience/interest at this low level can do than what we three (non-compiler experts) have cobbled together in the last 9 months. We’d love to have someone from this community join us if they’re interested in a small company adventure.

Currently 3 of us across Menlo Park, Brooklyn and Chicago, all-remote. Shorebird is a year old and offer good pay, benefits, significant equity. We have strong investors, excellent team, real (growing) revenue and years of runway. I founded the Flutter project 10 years ago, and lead Flutter and Dart while at Google.

eric@shorebird.dev. We’re mostly open source (not our compiler/linker bits) and otherwise default public: Shorebird. Jobs

(Thanks for being such a welcoming community, btw. I’ve come to the LLVM discord many times and received helpful answers from LLVM folks while learning this level.)

1 Like

Did you know that we have job postings on the LLVM Dev Mtg sites? Every event we have, our sponsors lists their available positions. Check it out here:
https://llvm.swoogo.com/2023devmtg/jobposting

Very sorry to hear about the layoffs. I wish everyone impacted the very best in finding new and fulfilling opportunities!

Our team at Apple is hiring compiler engineers to work on llvm and clang. Here are the latest related job ads but, please, reach out to me as well:

Best of luck!
Anna

2 Likes

For those who feel that now is the opportune time to embark on their own venture:

We are actively seeking a Co-Founder in Residence at DSV to spearhead the development of our backend compiler for a cutting-edge compute-in-memory technology. Our venture is supported by Silicon Catalyst , and we benefit from the guidance of seasoned leaders in the semiconductor industry. Our goal is to spin out by Q2 2024, at which point the Co-Founder in Residence will transition to a technical C-suite role, overseeing software development and assembling a dedicated team to bring the company’s vision to fruition.

During the residency, our VC provides a stipend to cover living expenses. Upon spinout, we offer a guaranteed and competitive salary until Series A funding. It’s important to note that our venture capital firm highly values maintaining significant equity ownership.

Interested candidates are encouraged to reach out directly via email: tanya@deepscienceventures.com.

Alternatively, you can apply through the following link: Job Description: Co-Founder in Residence, Next-Gen Compiler Integration/High Performance Compute - Deep Science Ventures

Hi @nickdesaulniers that’s unfortunate to hear. The AI Compiler Group at Microsoft is hiring right now. We work on LLVM and MLIR based compilers for (mostly) cloud AI, including the tools for the newly announced Maia 100. You can find those positions at Microsoft Careers: AI Compilers

Hi @nickdesaulniers.
That’s unfortunate to hear.

Matter Labs looks for a person outside of the US to work remotely on the downstream toolchain.

We’re hiring for the Verse team at Epic if anyone is interested. We’re working on a brand new non-LLVM VM for the Verse language and have a bunch of LLVM work in a downstream patched-fork of LLVM+Clang for our custom Clang that supports transactional Verse semantics in our existing Unreal Engine C++ code.

Since it matters to a lot of LLVM and open source folks - we’re totally happy with trying to work as much as possible in upstream, including upstreaming our work if the community would accept it, and fixing/improving upstream directly too.

https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-US/careers/jobs/4957957004

Hi All,

Arm is hiring! Do you want to be a part of our LLVM Compiler team? Responsibilities include collaborating with the LLVM community, contributing to the open-source Clang compiler, and the many other toolchains that use LLVM. The potential impact is huge!

Everyone can apply, as we are looking for people of all experience levels, from entry-level to line management!

So why choose Arm? We are a diverse and inclusive group, collaborating with teams across the world. Our team has roles available in Cambridge and Manchester, UK. We offer hybrid working, which gives you the option to split your time between working from home and working from our amazing offices!

We believe that a range of opinions and personalities are key to the success of our team, and we encourage your individuality to shine.

If you are interested, please reach out to me for a chat or apply through the links attached below!

Hello LLVM Community,

The recent layoffs are deeply saddening. For those impacted, we have opportunities on my team at Intel to join our MLIR-based compiler project.

We’re actively looking to welcome multiple AI Compiler Engineers to join our US-based team. In this role, you’ll be pivotal in enhancing the performance and scalability of AI applications by working with cutting-edge Neural Processing Unit (NPU) compilers within the Windows Machine Learning and DirectML framework.

Check out the detailed job posting here for more info and how to apply: Intel AI Compiler Engineer

Don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly if you’re interested or have any questions!