Code Review Process Update

Thank you for the update! Unfortunately, I’m still concerned by this situation.

We were asking about reviewable.io in 2020, long before the switch in Sept 2023 (Phabricator -> GitHub PRs? - #154 by jyknight) and it was already observed that we needed permissions (Phabricator -> GitHub PRs? - #157 by akorobeynikov), so I’m really concerned that this discussion is only getting started in Nov 2023 with no visible progress by the end of Jan 2024.

LLVM Foundation board members (@rnk @beanz, feel free to tag others, I don’t want to spam folks): how can we reduce the latency here given how significant the impacts are? It’s worrying that the LLVM Foundation is a gatekeeper and a bottleneck because the community can’t really start to evaluate whether those alternative solutions work for us until the Foundation allows us to. I’m not asking to rush decisions, but the foundation’s monthly board meeting schedule doesn’t necessarily align with the community’s needs and so there might be a slight disconnect in terms of priority regarding the need to improve the contributor experience after having made the switch to PRs.

7 Likes