End of support for 64 bit big endian linux on powerpc

The only remaining supported operating system for PowerPC Big Endian Linux, RHEL 7.9 reaches its end of support on 30 June 2024. Big endian support continues on AIX operating systems, clang-ppc64-aix, but this means that the clang-ppc64be-linux-multistage, clang-ppc64be-linux-test-suite, and sanitizer-ppc64be-linux buildbots will be taken offline in June before then as we can not continue the host machine without security and kernel updates.

Please reply to this thread or email LLVM on Power powerllvm@ca.ibm.com if you have any questions.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up!

Since we still support big-endian PowerPC in Debian Ports which is an unofficial current release of Debian, I’ll look into setting up an LLVM buildbot for big-endian ppc64.

I wanted to set one up for big-endian ppc32 anyway, so this might be a good opportunity to do both.

FWIW, you can also install Debian unstable ppc64 on these machines in case you’re willing to continue hosting big-endian buildbots for PowerPC. This way, the machines would still get all the latest security fixes.

See: Index of /cdimage/ports/snapshots/2024-01-31

Adrian

Thank you Adrian, I am glad you plan to test ppc32 and ppc64. If there is anyway we can assist with helping you setup these host machines, let us know so we see how we can help. Unfortunately we will not be able to host unofficially supported OSes so Debian’s Unstable release does not work for us.

OK, then I’ll request two ppc64 instances from OpenPOWER OpenStack at OSUOSL.

Thanks,
Adrian