Error when installing VMKit

Hi everyone,

I am Harris Bakiras the new VMKit engineer.

I followed the VMKit "Getting Started" instructions to install VMKit on my Linux Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit but I get the following error :

make[1]: Entering directory `VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass/Release+Asserts/StaticGCPass.ll', needed by `VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass/Release+Asserts/StaticGCPass.bc'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass'
make: *** [all] Error 1

I installed llvm-gcc-4.5 with the apt-get tool before building LLVM from SVN successfully.

I downloaded GNU Classpath 0.97.2 and installed it like described in the getting started.

I configured VMKit like the following :

./configure CC=llvm-gcc CXX=llvm-g++ --with-llvmsrc=LLVMROOTDIR --with-llvmobj=LLVMROOTDIR --with-gnu-classpath-libs=CLASSPATHROOTDIR/lib --with-gnu-classpath-glibj=CLASSPATHROOTDIR/lib/glibj.zip

Does anyone has an idea to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Harris

Hi Bakiras,

Hi everyone,

I am Harris Bakiras the new VMKit engineer.

Welcome :slight_smile:

I followed the VMKit “Getting Started” instructions to install VMKit on
my Linux Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit but I get the following error :

make[1]: Entering directory VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass' make[1]: *** No rule to make target VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass/Release+Asserts/StaticGCPass.ll’,
needed by
VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass/Release+Asserts/StaticGCPass.bc'. Stop. make[1]: Leaving directory VMKIT_ROOTDIR/lib/Mvm/StaticGCPass’
make: *** [all] Error 1

I installed llvm-gcc-4.5 with the apt-get tool before building LLVM from
SVN successfully.

I downloaded GNU Classpath 0.97.2 and installed it like described in the
getting started.

I configured VMKit like the following :

./configure CC=llvm-gcc CXX=llvm-g++ --with-llvmsrc=LLVMROOTDIR
–with-llvmobj=LLVMROOTDIR
–with-gnu-classpath-libs=CLASSPATHROOTDIR/lib
–with-gnu-classpath-glibj=CLASSPATHROOTDIR/lib/glibj.zip

I’m not sure CC and CXX help configuring vmkit. I haven’t checked for a while, but it may be that llvm-gcc/llvm-g++ do not work anymore to compile vmkit. What you should do is get the svn version of clang, compile it and use it instead of llvm-gcc. I believe you don’t need to provide CC and CXX to vmkit’s configure in that case. The configure scripts of vmkit and llvm will find clang.

Cheers,
Nicolas

Was vmkit using the sample project support for producing .bc files? I moved that into the test-suite directory a while back and haven’t gotten it back into just projects for people to use. This looks like the problem and basically you’d need a set of configure/make machinery from before that patch. I do plan on getting that in shortly though.

-eric