Error while running libtooling based tool on CUDA code

Dear clang-developer-community,
I get the following error while running libtooling based tool on CUDA code but I didn’t get the message when running libclang based tool. Please refer the following link for the error.

https://gist.github.com/pradeepisro/57e3ff3dab609a8bcc4f66d029e15a8f

I used the following repo to test
https://github.com/peter-can-talk/cppnow-2017

the example code is

1. cppgrep - libclang tool
  2. virtual-destructor - libtooling tool

With Regards,
Pradeep Kumar S.

GPU arch sm_20 is supported by CUDA versions between 7.0 and 8.0 (inclusive), but installation at /usr/local/cuda is 9.0. Use --cuda-path to specify a different CUDA install, pass a different GPU arch with --cuda-gpu-arch, or pass --no-cuda-version-check.

The error seems pretty clear to me?

You will need to figure out how to get the tool to pass these flags to clang. That’s a question for the tool’s author, not for this mailing list.

Dear Justin,
clang-query also results in the same error. I removed the one with no sm_20 by passing cuda-gpu-arch=sm_50 flag. But the unable to handle compilation, expected exactly one compiler job still exists. I think it is because of the dual mode compilation in clang. There are more than two commands in the error string.

Regards,
Pradeep

But the unable to handle compilation, expected exactly one compiler job still exists.

This is a new error that I don’t see in the original email. Luckily I know the error you’re referring to. You will need --cuda-device-only or --cuda-host-only.

Now I get different error for each of the flags
1. --cuda-host-only

/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:53:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_tid_x’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(x,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_tid_x());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:54:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_tid_y’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(y,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_tid_y());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:55:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_tid_z’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(z,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_tid_z());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:64:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ctaid_x’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(x,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ctaid_x());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:65:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ctaid_y’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(y,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ctaid_y());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:66:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ctaid_z’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(z,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ctaid_z());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:75:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ntid_x’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(x,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ntid_x());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:76:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ntid_y’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(y,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ntid_y());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:77:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ntid_z’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(z,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_ntid_z());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:86:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_nctaid_x’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(x,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_nctaid_x());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:87:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_nctaid_y’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(y,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_nctaid_y());
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_builtin_vars.h:88:27: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_nctaid_z’
__CUDA_DEVICE_BUILTIN(z,__nvvm_read_ptx_sreg_nctaid_z());
^
In file included from :1:
In file included from /usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_runtime_wrapper.h:148:
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_device_functions.h:49:40: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_vote_all’
DEVICE int __all(int __a) { return __nvvm_vote_all(__a); }
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_device_functions.h:50:40: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_vote_any’
DEVICE int __any(int __a) { return __nvvm_vote_any(__a); }
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_device_functions.h:51:52: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_vote_ballot’
DEVICE unsigned int __ballot(int __a) { return __nvvm_vote_ballot(__a); }
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_device_functions.h:71:10: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_atom_add_gen_d’
return __nvvm_atom_add_gen_d(__p, __v);
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_device_functions.h:74:10: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_atom_cta_add_gen_d’
return __nvvm_atom_cta_add_gen_d(__p, __v);
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_device_functions.h:77:10: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_atom_sys_add_gen_d’
return __nvvm_atom_sys_add_gen_d(__p, __v);
^
/usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_device_functions.h:195:10: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘__nvvm_atom_add_gen_f’
return __nvvm_atom_add_gen_f(__p, __v);

2. --cuda-device-only

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cmath:845:35: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘FP_NAN’
return __builtin_fpclassify(FP_NAN, FP_INFINITE, FP_NORMAL,
^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cmath:845:43: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘FP_INFINITE’
^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cmath:845:56: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘FP_NORMAL’
^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cmath:846:7: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘FP_SUBNORMAL’
FP_SUBNORMAL, FP_ZERO, __type(__f));
^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cmath:846:21: error: use of undeclared identifier ‘FP_ZERO’
FP_SUBNORMAL, FP_ZERO, __type(__f));
^
In file included from /usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_runtime_wrapper.h:37:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cstdlib:200:11: error: no member named ‘lldiv_t’ in the global namespace; did you mean ‘ldiv_t’?
using ::lldiv_t;
~~^
/usr/include/stdlib.h:109:5: note: ‘ldiv_t’ declared here
} ldiv_t;
^
In file included from /usr/include/clang/9.0.0/include/__clang_cuda_runtime_wrapper.h:37:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cstdlib:206:11: error: no member named ‘_Exit’ in the global namespace
using ::_Exit;
~~^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cstdlib:212:10: error: unknown type name ‘lldiv_t’; did you mean ‘ldiv_t’?
inline lldiv_t
^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cstdlib:200:11: note: ‘ldiv_t’ declared here
^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cstdlib:214:5: error: unknown type name ‘lldiv_t’; did you mean ‘ldiv_t’?
{ lldiv_t __q; __q.quot = __n / __d; __q.rem = __n % __d; return __q; }
^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cstdlib:200:11: note: ‘ldiv_t’ declared here
^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cstdlib:216:11: error: no member named ‘lldiv’ in the global namespace; did you mean ‘ldiv’?
using ::lldiv;
~~^
/usr/include/stdlib.h:790:15: note: ‘ldiv’ declared here
extern ldiv_t ldiv (long int __numer, long int __denom)
^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cstdlib:227:11: error: no member named ‘atoll’ in the global namespace; did you mean ‘atol’?
using ::atoll;
~~^
/usr/include/stdlib.h:150:17: note: ‘atol’ declared here
extern long int atol (const char *__nptr)
^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cstdlib:228:11: error: no member named ‘strtoll’ in the global namespace
using ::strtoll;
~~^
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/8/…/…/…/…/include/c++/8/cstdlib:229:11: error: no member named ‘strtoull’ in the global namespace; did you mean ‘strtoul’?
using ::strtoull;

can you please let me know why it is happening.

Regards,
Pradeep

I suspect that the tools are not invoking clang correctly, but I don’t know more, there is not enough information given here to say, and I am not familiar with these tools.

Since this is not a bug in clang, I would recommend speaking with the tool developers. If you want to debug yourself I’d try getting a working CUDA compilation with regular clang and running that with -v. You will see the flags passed to clang -cc1. Then you can compare those flags to what the tool is doing.