Fortran front-end to LLVM

Hi, all,
I'm completely new to LLVM (I first heard about it when I happened to come across this "/usr/ports/devel/llvm" directory in FreeBSD and was curious what it was.) Does LLVM support Fortran 2008? Is there a "Flang"?
Thanks!
Avstin

Hi Avstin,

I'm completely new to LLVM (I first heard about it when I happened to come across this "/usr/ports/devel/llvm" directory in FreeBSD and was curious what it was.) Does LLVM support Fortran 2008? Is there a "Flang"?

the dragonegg and llvm-gcc front-ends support Fortran. These are both gcc with
LLVM replacing gcc's optimizers and code generators. Dragonegg uses gcc-4.5 so
is more likely to support recent Fortran constructs (llvm-gcc uses gcc-4.2).
See http://dragonegg.llvm.org/

Ciao, Duncan.

Thanks for the heads-up! (And apologies to everyone for the newbie question; when I saw the part about DragonEgg on the LLVM WWW site I was confused as to whether it was a separate front-end to LLVM or a back-end plugin for GCC; for some reason I didn't make the connection that they are essentially the same thing.)

Have been trying out Clang/LLVM to build the latest development versions of the 4.5 and 4.6 GCC branches in order to build gfortran. Clang/LLVM is (are?) simply amazing. I revere the developers who designed and built LLVM and Clang (and no less importantly, released it under a simple, permissive license).

Can't wait to try out DragonEgg. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to Clang/LLVM and DragonEgg!

All the best,
Avstin