Initial patches for ARM64EC (Windows 11) now posted

On the compiler side, dealing with all the edge cases for thunks and symbol mangling and aliases has turned out to be more complicated than I initially expected. I’ve been continuing work on it on an internal branch. I think I’ve got it mostly complete at this point… I’ll try to post an update in the next couple weeks or so.

I haven’t looked at the linker side of it at all, and I don’t have any immediate plans in that direction; just been treating MSVC link as a black box (and cursing at uninformative “internal error” messages). A couple notes about undocumented stuff you’re like to run into:

• ARM64EC uses IMAGE_WEAK_EXTERN_ANTI_DEPENDENCY heavily; implementing that is probably a good first step for anything linker-related, since it’s mostly orthogonal to everything else. (I’m not sure what the exact semantics are.)
  • The association between functions and their corresponding thunks is established using a table in the section hybmp$x. Each row in the table is three 32-bit values; the first is the symbol index of the function, the second is the symbol index of the associated thunk, the third is a flag indicating what kind of thunk it is. 1 is an entry thunk, 4 is an exit thunk, 0 is a runtime code patching thunk.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.