this is what I wanted to propose for the last few months.
I had a chat with Chandler about graduating BPF backend
from experimental, but I want to make sure everyone is ok
Current status of it:
- running on x64, arm64, s390 architectures
- projects that use it: perf, tc, ovs
- there are few front-ends in the works:
one is translating language X to C and then using clang/llvm,
another is generating llvm IR directly,
yet another is using clang rewriter to augment C language
for tracing/networking needs.
one project tried to hack clang overall and was abandoned.
- I've seen people embedding binary llc with bpf support
in their github projects.
- broken llvm build with bpf backend was reported many
times with few folks even provided simple patches to unbreak it.
- we've started to prepare buildbot specific to bpf, but hit
configuration issues with zorg. Hopefully it will be functional soon.
- as far as I can see all across the board api refactoring that
was done by a bunch of people over the last 5 month
didn't cause any problems for them or for the backend
bpf backend has been in-tree since January and has enough
users, so I think it's time to graduate it from experimental.
Honestly I was surprised to see this patch... I was hoping
it will be my honors to do it