llvm windows re-port

Hello Žiga

Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:48:23 +0100 you wrote:

I decided to make llvm port on windows, to support at least Visual
Studio 7.1 and Visual Studio 8. I guess I will make only Visual
Studio 7.1 version, since it can be easily converted to version 8.

Good. Please note, that they're something about 1.5 years old. There
already were some attempts to do visual studio port, search llvm-dev
archives for more information.

- e:\llvm\llvm\include\llvm\Support\Compressor.h(53) : error C2039:
'string' : is not a member of 'std'
- e:\llvm\llvm\include\llvm\ADT\FoldingSet.h(150) : error C2061:
syntax error : identifier 'uint64_t'

This really means, that some of includes are missing for your build.
For example: uint64_t is typedefed to __int64 for VCPP in
include/llvm/Support/DataTypes.h. Please check everything twice.

The windows seems not to know the string type, so you must include it
directly through #include <string>. I did it for some files in
support missing that and it
works fine (it should also not brake UNIX compatibility).

The same as prev. The STL includes are already in place.

(I don't seem to find it ...). There is also a small fix needed in
System library itself, some things are outdated.

Could you please be more concrete? win32 flavour of System library
builds and runs fine with mingw32 target, so it seems (at least to me)
to be in good condition.

It also seems that other project (Analyzer ...) require some sort of
prebuild steps (Intrinsics.h not found) ... Could you send me a
commad that would generate all those prerequisites (or at least tell
me where to look:) ).

Intrinsincs.h is in include/llvm.

I decided to make llvm port on windows, to support at least Visual Studio 7.1 and Visual Studio 8. I guess I will make only Visual
Studio 7.1 version, since it can be easily converted to version 8.

Good. Please note, that they're something about 1.5 years old. There
already were some attempts to do visual studio port, search llvm-dev
archives for more information.

I found some posts regarding some porting issues, but all those are probably already resolved and
the patches have been comitted.

- e:\llvm\llvm\include\llvm\Support\Compressor.h(53) : error C2039: 'string' : is not a member of 'std'
- e:\llvm\llvm\include\llvm\ADT\FoldingSet.h(150) : error C2061:
syntax error : identifier 'uint64_t'

This really means, that some of includes are missing for your build.
For example: uint64_t is typedefed to __int64 for VCPP in
include/llvm/Support/DataTypes.h. Please check everything twice.

Yes, I have foudn the file. However, some sources do not include DataTypes, even if they use
uint64_t (one is FoldingSet.cpp). I will include DataTypes on such files, as well as <string> when
necessary.

The windows seems not to know the string type, so you must include it directly through #include <string>. I did it for some files in
support missing that and it
works fine (it should also not brake UNIX compatibility).

The same as prev. The STL includes are already in place.

DataTypes does not include any STL files. Should I include <string> where so, or should I include string in DataTypes?
I made this correction (including string and DataTypes) and now, the file compiles ok.

(I don't seem to find it ...). There is also a small fix needed in System library itself, some things are outdated.

Could you please be more concrete? win32 flavour of System library
builds and runs fine with mingw32 target, so it seems (at least to me)
to be in good condition.

Everything else build but ltdl.c doesn't.

e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3625) : error C2037: left of 'd_name' specifies undefined struct/union 'direct'
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3625) : error C2037: left of 'd_namlen' specifies undefined struct/union 'direct'
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3630) : error C2037: left of 'd_name' specifies undefined struct/union 'direct'
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3641) : error C2037: left of 'd_name' specifies undefined struct/union 'direct'
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3650) : error C2037: left of 'd_name' specifies undefined struct/union 'direct'
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3660) : error C2037: left of 'd_name' specifies undefined struct/union 'direct'
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3660) : error C2198: 'strncat' : too few arguments for call through pointer-to-function
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3678) : error C2065: 'DIR' : undeclared identifier
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3678) : error C2065: 'dirp' : undeclared identifier
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3678) : error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3679) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'type'
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3692) : error C2037: left of 'd_name' specifies undefined struct/union 'direct'
e:\llvm\llvm\lib\System\ltdl.c(3695) : error C2065: 'errors' : undeclared identifier

+ a bunch of warnings.

The problem is that windows does not support direct.h and DIR structure. I know of one emulation on windows (I use it for my project),
but it doesn't work here (basically a header file defining DIR struct and everything else and doing the windows code under it). I found
an emulation at http://www.softagalleria.net/dirent/index.en.html and tried it. Maybe I can make it work with it. Or do you have a better solution?

It also seems that other project (Analyzer ...) require some sort of prebuild steps (Intrinsics.h not found) ... Could you send me a
commad that would generate all those prerequisites (or at least tell
me where to look:) ).

Intrinsincs.h is in include/llvm.

I am not looking for Instrinsics.h but Intrinsics.gen. Should I copy it from Instruction.def (prebuild event).

Otherwise, Configuration and support have been sucesfully compiled.

Regards,
Žiga