Outreachy May Internship - Mentors/Projects/Support Needed

The LLVM Project will most likely be participating in Outreachy this year (assuming we get accepted).

Outreachy is similar to Google Summer of Code in a lot of ways, but I personally believe it reaches a different set of applicants and broadens the reach of the LLVM Project. So participation in Outreachy, as well as GSOC, add a lot of value and grow our community.

I’d like to start the discussion on how best to support future potential applicants and interns. Would anyone be interested in joining a video chat to discuss this more?

We will for sure need mentors and projects. However, Outreachy also requires applicants to submit a patch to a project and we will need to support applicants through this process. This is a great way to get involved, but not dedicating yourself to be a mentor.

The LLVM Foundation will sponsor Outreachy interns using the donations we receive as it directly relates to our mission, but if your company is interested in sponsoring an Outreachy intern directly, let’s chat about how to make this happen.

Here are some important dates:

• Jan. 15 at 3pm UTC - Live Q&A for FOSS communities interested in mentoring Outreachy interns
  • Jan. 22 at 3pm UTC - Live Q&A for people interested in becoming an Outreachy mentor
  • Feb. 15 at 4pm UTC - Deadline for open source and open science communities to sign up to be an Outreachy mentoring organization
  • Feb. 23 at 4pm UTC - Deadline for mentors to submit project descriptions for May 2024 interns to work on

Chats are on the Outreachy YouTube channel

Full details of the announcement can be found here:

4 Likes

Bumping this up in case anyone is interested in participating. Would it be best if I just set up a meeting?