Post Discourse Migration Information

LLVM Community,

Welcome to LLVM Discourse! You can now access the forums with our new URL:

https://discourse.llvm.org

Some important things to know:

• If you did not create a Discourse account prior to the migration, one or more temporary accounts exist that are associated with the email address(s) you used on Mailman. This is called a staged account. To activate this account you need to create a new account with that email and recover it. See: Description of various user states in Discourse (Admin / Moderator / Staff / Developer / Other) - faq - Discourse Meta for more details on staged accounts. Note that reset password will do nothing.

• If you had a Discourse account prior to the migration and have used multiple email addresses on Mailman in the past, you can not just add an alternative email to your existing Discourse account and have the staged accounts automatically merge with it. To merge multiple accounts, you need to contact our Discourse admins (discourse-admin@llvm.org) with links to the accounts you would like to have merged.

• The LLVM-dev archives are under Project Infrastructure → LLVM Dev List Archives. For active discussions from the mailing list, it would be best to move the topic to the correct category and continue discussions there. The easiest way to do this is to mention the Moderators in a reply with your request (use @ and then moderators). You can also email the admins directly (discourse-admin@llvm.org). Moving older and completed topics may not be as useful.

• We are aware of an issue with replying to Discourse topic emails from before the migration and they do not appear to make it to the new site. The folks at Discourse are looking into this and I hope to have an update soon. While not ideal, a work around would be to post your response using the WebUI and any future responses will come via email (if you have this enabled).

• If you see any issues with an imported topic, please mention the Moderators in a reply to the topic, or email the Discourse admins (discourse-admin@llvm.org). We have access to the original emails and can make changes.

Over the next few days we will continue to do post-migration tasks. There are a few that anyone can help with:

• Updating the Discourse Migration Guide
  • Updating all references to the moved mailing lists on our website and in documentation

If you have any questions, please reach out.

Thanks,
Tanya

2 Likes

Does Discourse have a process / escape hatch for merging staged accounts where one no longer has read access to the email account they once posted from? It would be nice to e.g. merge my posts to the lists under jonathan@codesourcery.com with this account, but I no longer work there.

edit: I should read the whole post before asking questions next time :slight_smile: