RFC: Buildbot information comment on new contributors' first PRs

You might have seen RFC / FYI: Pull Request Greetings For New Contributors, which is now live.

New contributor’s first opened PR now includes a greeting with useful information about what will happen next, how to ask questions, etc.

What it doesn’t talk about is the mysterious emails you might get if your PR breaks a buildbot. So I’ve got a PR [GitHub][workflows] Add buildbot information comment to first merged PR from a new contributor by DavidSpickett · Pull Request #78292 · llvm/llvm-project · GitHub to add a comment post merge, that will talk about that.

The goal is to make buildbot failures and reverts less of a surprise (as much as we can while they are two separate systems).

Problem is, I work with buildbot far too much to know exactly what may surprise a new contributor. So I need some feedback from the community, here or on the PR.

On the wording, what confused you when you joined the project, other improvements we could make in this area, all welcome!

2 Likes

Linked from the PR too, but for convenience this is an example of the comment(s) in action: test change by DavidSpickett · Pull Request #84 · DavidSpickett/llvm-project · GitHub

1 Like