Commits as new contributor

Hi everyone,

I recently was granted commit access, but I’m not really sure what is the process.
The developer policy states:
“You are granted commit-after-approval to all parts of LLVM. To get approval, submit a patch to llvm-commits. When approved, you may commit it yourself.”

Do I have to send the patch to llvm-commits via email and wait for approval even when the patch has been accepted in the reviews (i.e. Phabricator) ?

Best,
Stefanos

Hi,

the docs are assuming that the llvm-commits mailing list is the
primary location where the review takes place. Phabricator was added
as a helper, and will also send all comments to llvm-commits.

In practice, llvm-commits has too much traffic, so only few people
will look at llvm-commits. Review takes place almost exclusively on
Phabricator.

That is, do as you did before. The only change with commit access is
that instead of requesting someone to commit for you, you can push
your commit yourself to github after a LGTM/approval on Phabricator.
The approval has already been sent to llvm-commits by Phabricator.

Michael

Hi,

Thanks to both! I’ll update the docs.

Best,
Stefanos

Στις Κυρ, 1 Μαρ 2020 στις 5:24 μ.μ., ο/η Florian Hahn <florian_hahn@apple.com> έγραψε:

Hi, Stefanos,

Documentation updates should also be reviewed. In this case, I think that it makes the most sense to reference our new code-review documentation that should be committed soon (https://reviews.llvm.org/D71916). It might actually be best to remove some of that developer-policy text and simply reference the new code-review documentation in order to prevent confusion.

Thanks,
Hal

Hi Hal,

Documentation updates should also be reviewed.
Of course, I meant that I’ll open a patch in Phabricator. :slight_smile:

I didn’t know about code-review patch, thanks. I’ll defer the update of developer policy until the other patch is committed so we can have a clearer picture.

Kind regards,
Stefanos

Στις Κυρ, 1 Μαρ 2020 στις 6:17 μ.μ., ο/η Finkel, Hal J. <hfinkel@anl.gov> έγραψε:

Great, and thanks for bringing this up!

-Hal

My pleasure, thanks for the help!

Best,
Stefanos

Στις Κυρ, 1 Μαρ 2020 στις 6:44 μ.μ., ο/η Finkel, Hal J. <hfinkel@anl.gov> έγραψε: