EuroLLVM MLIR round table(s)

I’ve submitted an MLIR round table for discussing core issues in the the ecosystem, but now I’m beginning to think there may be just too many topics for a single round table. So I’d like to outline some of my concerns here and see if there’s anyone else with further concerns / topics, so that we can request fewer tables for the intersection of all topics.

The topics I wanted to cover were:

• Cost model, target description, heuristics & ML-guided strategies for optimization and code generation in the MLIR ecosystem.
  • Order of passes and pipeline composition: how to describe dependency, invalidation, canonical forms.
  • Packing vs. tiling: Graph compiler shape prediction vs. MLIR compiler tiling. Who needs to know what the optimal shape is and how do we use the existing passes?
  • Linalg as the core transformation dialect: How far can we go with interfaces (into other linalg-like dialects)?
  • Linalg named op semantics: implicit vs. explicit, op vs. attribute, generalization guarantees. Can we mandate semantics to be equivalent to generalization?
  • Linalg de-generalization: Tree-like pattern matchers, canonicalization, semantics guarantees.

I know others also want to talk about:

• Ingress story: torch-mlir should be the seed for our discussion into how we define ingress, even from other front-ends.
  • Transform schedules: how to compose, execute, fail & retry, diversify, search schedules, compare performance/gain, re-order.
  • ML-guided: How to inject ML predictions / embedding information into the compiler pipeline, and how to use profile info / traces to train models on the compilation process.
  • Device lowering from MLIR: CPU/GPU dialects, SPIRV/LLVM, canonical lowering, required support from existing dialects/lowering.
  • Dialect completeness: How do we deal with dialects that are half-baked, undefined, blocking/redirecting progress?

After writing all these, I’d be surprised if we can find less than 4 sub-groups in there with enough time to discuss all of that… Not to mention if people have even more topics… :cold_sweat:

@nicolasvasilache @ftynse @stellaraccident @mehdi_amini @nhasabni @aniragil @martin.luecke @asiemien @chelini @Groverkss @TobiasGrosser @michel-steuwer @albertcohen @Jianhui-Li @etiotto @whitneywhtsang @tonic

4 Likes

I’d like to throw here modularizing LLVM and SPIR-V as part of the conversation.

1 Like

There are not that many roundtables proposed so far, so you are welcome to run all of these sequentially reusing the same table.

1 Like