GSOC 2024: call for mentors and projects!

Dear Fellow LLVM’ers,

Another year, another GSoC: 2024 GSoC is just right around the corner. Next week the organizations will start submitting their applications and this means that LLVM will have to submit one as well. If you’re going to mentor some project this year, then please update the relevant Open Projects page!

Here is how:

GSoC application requires organization to have a single “Ideas” page that works as a primary list of all projects. For all projects under LLVM umbrella we’re using an Open Projects page. All mentors are encouraged to submit a project description there. The project entry are to be structured as follows:

• Description (2-5 sentences)
  • Expected outcomes
  • Confirmed mentors and their contacts (note that at least 2 mentors should be specified per project: primary and backup ones).
  • Required / desired skills
  • Size of the project. Small are ~90 hours, medium projects are ~175 hours and large are ~350 hours.
  • An easy, medium or hard rating if possible
  • Link to discourse topic that could be used to discuss the project, ask questions, etc. Please use gsoc2024 optional tag for such threads

There are different categories for different subprojects. If there is none, please do create a new category. One could see the 2023 list as an example.

Contact me in case of any questions / suggestions / anything else :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It looks like this year we have 6 open projects compared to 24 last year. Any idea why that is? Or do they usually get added only later, after org application?

As far as I can see, we do not have projects submitted from “usual” mentors, I do not have information, why (though I contacted all personally). I do not know if someone is working on more project proposals.

We are working on project descriptions, what’s the deadline for those?

Hi @jdoerfert

As I indicated in the email you’ve received, ideally these should be ready by February, 5 :slight_smile:

So now – sooner better than later.

1 Like