Next Steps: Outreachy & GSOC - Help needed!

Hello all! We had a small group of folks that attended the brainstorming session last week, but we had a lot of great ideas. I said I would follow up here with some notes and action items.

I went over both programs at a high level. GSOC has changed recently, so here are the highlights.

GSOC

  • Eligibility: all newcomers of open source that are 18 years and older.
  • Project Size: support both medium sized projects (~175 hours) and large projects (~350 hours
  • Project length: 12-week program that runs from June – August, or 22 weeks
  • Defining Projects: Defining a Project (Ideas List) | Google Summer of Code Guides
  • Stipend: Varies based upon project size and location

Outreachy

  • Eligibility: Outreachy expressly invites women (both cis and trans), trans men, and genderqueer people to apply. We also expressly invite applications from residents and nationals of the United States of any gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander.Anyone who faces under-representation, and systemic bias or discrimination in the technology industry of their country is invited to apply.
  • Project Size: dedicate 30 hours per week to your project for at least 12 weeks of the Outreachy internship’s 13 week duration
  • Project Length: 3 months - internships run May to August, can apply for an extension
  • Stiped: 7K

Notes from the meeting

  • It is good that GSOC changed the project size/timeline as other universities have different schedules. Some didn’t apply because timeframe didn’t align
  • Many students these days don’t know about GSOC. Where can we advertise of Google Summer of Code to reach more students?
  • Many students don’t realize the value of open source and GSOC: investing in your CV, internships, etc
  • Open source in general is not the norm for younger generation (!!)
  • Can GitHub can advertise about open source projects and those are participating in open source
  • Community.o tie in with focusing on open source evangelism (students at universities)
  • Lack of mentors (we need more!)
  • Applications can be poor as some do not put enough effort in. How can we improve this? Have templates or examples?
  • Talk with students face to face (or just audio) during the process
  • Could we require GSOC to contribute a patch before they apply? Right now its not a requirement but most likely a big factor.
  • Meet with students after selected to build community
  • Meet with students before to answer questions
  • Exploit connections with universities now to advertise GSOC, interested in people not already in the community
  • Share success stories about students in GSOC
  • Explain what is in it for them for Mentors (could we have a FAQ or promo like thing)
  • Reach out to past mentors and ask why they keep doing it
  • How to attract mentors:
    – Ask companies involved in LLVM their interest and specific projects to be done (ie Flang)
    – Mentor’s should have a co-mentor who can train the next mentor
    – Use connections in academia to get ideas and then find mentors in community
  • Increase the diversity of mentors in this GSOC
  • Contact the different working groups (loops, etc) to ask if they have projects and mentors
  • Use GSOC as a way to get from one project to another

I am sure I missed some things, but that is a quick summary.

Action items:

  • We need a landing page on llvm.org for Google and Outreachy. Are you interested in helping? I will post a Google Doc to collaborate on content before moving to the web
    -This landing page should guide GSOC/Outreachy applicants in the right direction and welcome them
    -We should Improve starter tasks for contribution period

  • We need to update the open projects page:The LLVM Compiler Infrastructure Project
    -Remove old GSOC
    -Denote projects good for GSOC or Outreachy (or both)

  • We need more mentors!
    -Diversity matters

  • Improve the mentor experience
    -Communication channel
    -Coach how to provide feedback in a constructive and positive way

  • Better GSOC/Outreachy Intern support
    -What to do when mentor is not reachable?
    -CoC issues
    -Encourage presenting their work (blog, LLVM Dev)

If you have more ideas, please post them here. I welcome all help. We can also chat on the Discord server about these items going forward.

4 Likes

All sounds great!
I can help with the content for the landing page.

Hi Tanya, thank you for organizing the meeting!
First, can we share this minute under the GSoC tag? I’ve seen some traffics there so I believe people who are interested in are gathering there.
I also checked out the timeline and although we’re still kind of early in the game, do you think we can start to put out something to collect proposed topics, in addition to discussion threads under the GSoC tag?

1 Like

+1, thanks for organizing the meeting and posting minutes.

I also noticed that there is no Outreachy tag.

Regarding issues when mentor is not reachable, it would probably be good if projects had multiple mentors, so there is more than one person for a mentee to refer to.

1 Like

I am so sorry for the delay. I have created a GSOC landing page and it is ready for review.

https://reviews.llvm.org/D121614

I did add GSOC and Outreachy tag, so let me know if you see them.

I also added a link to a Google Doc for the proposal template.

This is based mostly off Anton’s (@akorobeynikov) post about proposal requirements (GSoC 2022: projects, proposals and other information). I’m wondering if its useful at all to have them add something along the lines of why they might want to work on LLVM or that particular project? Maybe some past mentors can chime in?

LGTM. Just two suggestions:
I wouldn’t ask for the phone number. I don’t think we ever use phones and it’s best to keep their privacy as many share the proposal online.

I would add a section for the expected deliverables. I think it’s important to make this explicit to avoid expectation mismatches. Is it planned to upstream patches? Which? (maybe this comes in the timeline section, but then we should point out that this info should be there)

Ok, removed phone number. I added an expected deliverables section, but this really makes me wonder… shouldn’t we always expect GSOC to contribute it back? I mean I know sometimes things don’t work out as planned, but I feel like they should go through the normal development process with a proposal, and incremental patches that get reviewed, etc.

I don’t think we expect all students to contribute patches back.
But the deliverables (maybe not the best name) is just a way of writing down what’s expected. So the student can’t say they implemented everything and the mentor can’t demand more. I think it’s important to have a sort of a contract to manage everyone’s expectations.

Some projects are more exploratory, and so the goal may not be to upstream a patch. But there has to be some output :slight_smile: