Release/18.x branch has been created

Hi,

The release/18.x branch has been created. Trunk is now 19.0.0.

If you want to request a backport to the release/18.x branch, please follow these instructions. Note that this is the first release we are using the llvm/llvm-project pull requests for the release backports, so there may be a few issues at first.

1 Like

I think after migration to GitHub PRs, we have a more natural way of backporting: just target the PR to release/18.x instead of main. Have you considered that?

Yes, this is an option for requesting backports too.

1 Like

Is it an option that we can use now? Or an option that you might consider in the future?

You can create pull requests now, just make sure to add the Release 18.x milestone.

1 Like

Looking at the title of PR for llvm/llvm-project#79762 by llvmbot · Pull Request #79763 · llvm/llvm-project · GitHub and of the issue linked there, I really wish we move to people directly creating PRs against release branches. I was quite perplexed when I saw [llvm/llvm-project] PR for llvm/llvm-project#79762 (PR #79763) in my inbox.

How do we deal with false precommit checks not allowing the backport (see #79870)?

I’ll merge those ones.

1 Like

It would be nice if the title "PR for llvm/llvm-project#xxx` gives a bit more context, e.g. the title of the cherry-picked commit (first in case of many).
The description can be more than “resolves #79762”.

Changing the title and the description should help people that receive email notifications. In the web UI, you can see the base branch being release/18.x, but it is easy to miss this.

I have created a PR for lld/ELF release notes targeting release/18.x: ReleaseNotes: add lld/ELF notes by MaskRay · Pull Request #80393 · llvm/llvm-project · GitHub
IIUC the primary change is to ensure that you select the “LLVM 18.x release” milestone.

Can you provide feedback on this PR.

Hi, I have two patches waiting to be merged, but no action has been taken on them. Can you please advise?

Thanks, I will take a look at those.